A More Readable Oil Dipstick

/ A More Readable Oil Dipstick #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
It's not a problem to read old diesel engine oil level on any old dipstick. But trying to read clean transmission or hydraulic oil on their bright and shiny dipsticks can be difficult. It's hard to see clean transparent oil against a polished metal background.

Here's a trick that worked for me:

Wipe the dipstick clean and place the tip of it over a clean-burning heat source. Our kitchen stove works on propane and that is the excellent because propane burns without forming carbon - but any heat source will do. Hold it there until the inch or so at the tip just barely begins to glow......or not quite that hot if you can time it so. Err on the side of caution because if it needs more heat just do it again. Now let the blade cool slowly and watch as the bottom two inches of the dipstick have turned color ranging from a nice straw color on up to a medium blue. Of course we've all seen these tempering colors before, and this is just another use for the heat-induced color change of steel. After doing this the oil level will show up perfectly against the heat patina of the dipstick, and the color won't rub off.
enjoy, rScotty

/ A More Readable Oil Dipstick #2  
It's not a problem to read old diesel engine oil level on any old dipstick. But trying to read clean transmission or hydraulic oil on their bright and shiny dipsticks can be difficult. It's hard to see clean transparent oil against a polished metal background.

Here's a trick that worked for me:

Wipe the dipstick clean and place the tip of it over a clean-burning heat source. Our kitchen stove works on propane and that is the excellent because propane burns without forming carbon - but any heat source will do. Hold it there until the inch or so at the tip just barely begins to glow......or not quite that hot if you can time it so. Err on the side of caution because if it needs more heat just do it again. Now let the blade cool slowly and watch as the bottom two inches of the dipstick have turned color ranging from a nice straw color on up to a medium blue. Of course we've all seen these tempering colors before, and this is just another use for the heat-induced color change of steel. After doing this the oil level will show up perfectly against the heat patina of the dipstick, and the color won't rub off.
enjoy, rScotty

That's fine and dandy for old school metal dipsticks. What about the plastic ones? I just lay the end of the dipstick against my finger and look for the wet spot, some people use the blue paper towels.:)

Brian

/ A More Readable Oil Dipstick #3  
I run the sandblaster over the end of the dipstick, no troubles reading it after that.

Sean

/ A More Readable Oil Dipstick #4  
I run the sandblaster over the end of the dipstick, no troubles reading it after that.

Sean

Now there's an idea, I'm going to try that one...Thanks...Reading that stupid HST dipstick is a real pain...how about some color in the SUDT Kubota?

/ A More Readable Oil Dipstick #5  
I agree, reading the clean HST fluid on a yellow dipstick sure makes it hard to read.

/ A More Readable Oil Dipstick #6  
You can blacken the end with a magic marker too. Like was mentioned hydro fluid is real hard to see.

3754642153_0405b0942a.jpg

Last edited:
   / A More Readable Oil Dipstick #7  
I drilled small holes at each level mark. Easy to see with clean or dirty oil.

SimS

/ A More Readable Oil Dipstick #8  
Oil is amber and then black, fairly quickly, not too bad.

But Kubota's with clear HST fluid and that plastic dipstick in the trans? Wow!!

Tough. I agree with others. Die the SUDT fluid we can actually see it.

/ A More Readable Oil Dipstick #9  
Read my HST stick today using a magnifying glass, worked good.

/ A More Readable Oil Dipstick #10  
I'm happy your method of using a magnifying glass works for you.
Wondering if Kubota is going to include those with each tractor? Packed in the owner's manual pack? :D