A monkey wrench afternoon

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Many times I've used a technique of falling a tree into another tree so it would purposely hang up. This is so you do not have to hit something with a full fall. This particular tree had the chance to slap the house with its last 5 feet or so of length. I had the tree (18" oak) nestle slowly into its support tree. (thicker hinge starts slower fall using felling wedge) and all was good to that point. I made the release cut by center boring the hinge, inserting a wedge into this so when making the actual release cuts, the tree doesn't crush the bar. So now the tree is just resting on the stump. I go pull up the tractor to drag it off the stump and this is a tractor that you dismount as if you are on parallel bars and as I do so, my foot knocks the shift into reverse and before I can do anything, the tractor hits a rock and goes over. Just what I needed at a rather precarious time. It had to be dragged out in 3 pieces but it finally landed and none too much for the wear.Thought you may enjoy some pics of the follies.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 820
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 685
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 460
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 580
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 418
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    1,020.8 KB · Views: 394
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 418
   / A monkey wrench afternoon #2  
It just goes to show how an accident can happen when you least expect it. It is very fortunate that the only thing damaged was your pride. The pictures you posted are a reminder that we could be in the same situation in the blink of an eye.
Craig Clayton

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #3  
Glad you were'nt hurt and no damage. At least it gave you an opportunity to do a good underside inspection of the machine...

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #4  
JD 1050 cut?
that has the 2 shift levers between your legs on
the transmission tunnel, right?

glad it worked out with little damage and
no injuries.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon
JD 1050 cut?
that has the 2 shift levers between your legs on
the transmission tunnel, right?

glad it worked out with little damage and
no injuries.

Its a 750 and yes the shifter is right on top of the tunnel. Was wearing snow boots which are much more awkward to maneuver on this tractor. Guess I'll have to consider getting an old mans tractor (hydrostatic) As my body is getting a bit rickety for this one. No easy way to dismount from this tractor but it has given me 26 years of faithful service so maybe I'm supposed to die with it.... or from it.

Glad you were'nt hurt and no damage. At least it gave you an opportunity to do a good underside inspection of the machine...

One of the pluses of rolling over your machine now and again. My hydraulic filter is dented.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #7  
Man, that would have scared the heck out of me.

As an old guy, I rarely drive any of our tractors with the shifter in the middle anymore. I find a flat platform much safer for me at least and I have a tractor with a flat platform and the gear shift on the side with the shuttle shifter on the column.

OK, I also use a couple with HST too.:eek:

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #8  
Glad you did not get hurt. If you use it you will damage it sooner or later. All's well that ends well, I guess. I do bet that if the FEL was down the tractor probably would not have gone over.

/ A monkey wrench afternoon #9  
Glad your still w/us..whew.
Lot of warmth stack there. :)

Glad you did not get hurt. If you use it you will damage it sooner or later. All's well that ends well, I guess. I do bet that if the FEL was down the tractor probably would not have gone over.

Actually, the fel wasn't that high. The rock was 18 high so I'm not sure it would not of gone over even if the fel was at its bottom. The biggest culprit here beyond myself for not taking it off before hand was the rear scraper. That thing has sufficient free lateral play to shift the weight of the tractor significantly enough to give it that last push to topple the tractor. I will not be taking the rear blade into the woods anytime soon