A long summer's work payoff

/ A long summer's work payoff #31  
Re: A long summer\'s work payoff

Fine lookin' barn. Now, over the next few weeks, see if you can answer this question: Did you build it big enough? I'm just wondering how often that happens with barns. My own project should be starting here in a couple of weeks and I've already increased the size several times. (Nothing like building something in the howling wind, driving snow and frozen ground. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif). After all the size changes I'm wondering if it's possible to ever be truly happy with the size?

SHF

/ A long summer's work payoff

SHF,
If I was building this for my last barn then no I didn't build it big enough. BUT we don't plan on being longer than 5-7 more years. I have a friend who is in his late 50's and is going to be retiring about then and the plan is to go and take over his practice. My true dream barn would be 200x150. I have a ranch out in Idaho that I bought with my uncle there and when I get ready to move out there that's what we are going to build. For right now though this barn is perfect and it's still small enough that I can get my money out of it when I go to sell later. When you get too big you have to wait awhile to find the right person to buy it. What I wanted for now was a place for the girls to go, especially in the winter and be able to be warm while I worked horses, stable the horses that needed it, and be able to ride inside in the winter. I've accomplished all that with this barn. I don't think I'll have any regrets for what my needs are now. If this was to be my last barn that I would have built, yes serious regrets.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

Bird,
I really think it's just a matter of preference. The only real difference that I know is the hookup and that's the way it's been done mentality. My gooseneck is rated for 45,000 lbs. Just about every gooseneck hitch out there is rated for 25,000-35,000 lbs. I really don't think there is much difference between the two it's just preference.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ A long summer's work payoff #34  

Comwboydoc

I'm sorry, this begs the question: Is 200x150 big enough? Every time I think I've got the size thing nailed down, I think: But I could just go 2' wider or 2' longer....

Can't keep playing this bigger game much longer or I'll have to wait until spring. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

SHF

LOL SHF.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ A long summer's work payoff #36  

<font color=blue>that's the way it's been done mentality</font color=blue>

I suspect that's about it. Different people probably invented the two types, some went one way, some the other, and it just got to be "customary."

Bird

/ A long summer's work payoff #37  

One nice thing about a GN is the amount of space that's taken up in the bed of the pickup versus a 5th wheel. Even with my removable GN hitch installed, there's plenty of room in the bed of the pickup to load wood shavings, feed, etc. A friend of mine has a F250 (460 V8) that he uses to haul a travel trailer around. When his 5th wheel connection is in the bed of his pickup, there aint room for much else.

tractor.gif

/ A long summer's work payoff #38  

Thats a mighty nice looking barn, and some really nice looking horses. They have that good foundation look to them. (The horses that is). I like the others here am baffled by how you find the time to get all of these projects done, while working 50-60 hours at a regular job. Nice looking trailer too. What do you pull it with? I have seen some that size and even a little bigger (up to about a 12 horse slant) at the cutting horse events, but all of the big ones were being pulled by Peterbuilt of Freightliner heavy haulers. I think that 7 of those rope horses would really be quite a load to haul.

rf33
rf33_sig_better.gif
/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thanks for the compliments rf33. I see you have an eye for good horseflesh. Not many people know foundation breeding when they see it. My hat's off to you. As far as time it's all we do. I'm either at the office or I'm out working the ranch, even half of our meals are out in a field somewhere or in the barn. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Besides golf once in awhile it's our life. I wouldn't trade it for anything though.

With regards to pulling the trailer look in the hay pics and that's my hauler. It's a 00 Ford Supercab Superduty diesel. It does a fine job with the trailer even loaded down. It's hopped up a little with a 60 hp Superchip. I've got all the gauges, exhaust, etc. too. Makes a nice hauler.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

Here's some pics of the tack room and office.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

Attachments

• 8-82396-MVC-005S.JPG
    8-82396-MVC-005S.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 67