Mowing A Kubota Z122 with Briggs?

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #11  
Jet,
My 2 cents: I would stay away from the Briggs. Not too long ago, I bought a log splitter with a quote unquote Industrial Briggs 12.5 hp engine. At 76 hours, the motor refused to start. The valves had loosen up and needed adjusting. I bought a riding lawn mower with a 15 hp Kawasaki twin motor 11 years ago. It now has over 300 hours and never once hiccupped.
If I were you, I would look for something with a Kubota, Honda, or Kawasaki motor.

It's about to. You are overdue for a valve lash adjustment.:eek:

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #12  
In interest of fairness, I would like to add this post. I brought a Troybilt combination mower with a 8.5 hp Briggs in 1997. The mower still serves me today as a back up mower and for cutting in. However, I haven't put many hours on it during the past 11 years, since getting the rider. I suspect that the current engines might not be made as well as the old.

5030:
The mower with over 300 hours is starting to looked worn: torn seat, balding tires... I recently had a tube put in the above mower for $30. So my thinking is that it's probably better to replace the whole unit--I still change the oil, filter, and grease it.

Attachments

• Briggs 8.5 HP EM.JPG
    Briggs 8.5 HP EM.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
   / A Kubota Z122 with Briggs?
I am considering the Kubota Z125 SKH-54, lights, upgraded seat with shock absorption, 25 hp Koehler, 54" deck, for $5779.00. 36 mo. same as cash. A Grasshopper 126-52" with BS Commercial Turf 26hp is on sale for $5400.00. Strong mower and plush seat with lights. 48 mo. same as cash. A Kubota Z122 EBR 48" is on sale for $4,529. 22hp BS. no lights. Std. seat. The Ferris IS600 BS 25hp 48" deck with shocks and struts. and a retractible deck roller is $5,195. I have found a JD Z645. Top of the line Residential ZTR for $5,499. 48" deck, 27hp Kawasaki. One yr.same as cash. Very nice and strong mower! And i'll look closer at a Scag Freedom Z with a 21hp Kawasaki, 48" cut for $5,500. I think 36 mo. same as cash. They appear to all be great mowers for residential use of 1 acre grass. I have read a couple of negative posts on the Kubota and the Grasshopper, but none on the Scag, Ferris, or JD. Anyone with a real bad heartburn on any of these mowers? The field is narrowing. I've driven two of them. But being a newbie on the ZTR, I couldn't tell much. Thx again for your "field" info reports!

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #14  
Which two have you driven? I only have driven a few on paved parking lots, but the Kubota Z122 and the Cadet Zforce LZ54 both felt significantly smoother in controls than the Husqvarna RZ4824F and JD Z400 series I tried.

I am new to these ZTR's as well, but knowing the space I will be working in I know I will want fine control and smooth transitions. So I focused alot on smoothness of transitioning for/aft of each wheel. Mixing control input transitioning from both forward, one neutral, or even one reverse and in and out of lot of variations and how the unit responded to what I was doing. The Kubota and Cub were both silky smooth unless I really jerked on the controls. The Husq and JD were both twitchy trying to do the same maneuvers. The Cub they pulled out from showroom and only had 1/2" to spare on each side getting thru the door. The staffer was able to nice and slow and smoothly bring it thru the door with subtle adjustments smooth as silk. IMHO that speaks volumes on the quality and how enjoyable it will be to use.

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #15  
So coincidentally I just bought a 2011 Simplicity Citation with 80 hrs. Has the industrial Kawi and an upgraded seat. What a beast of a lawnmower. It is about the equivalent of a 700IS Ferris. Cut my entire lawn twice in less time than my tractor would do it. Holy sensitive controls though .... have to be very careful around expensive stuff.

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #16  
Hello Everyone. I'm new to this site and have enjoyed all the great info passed on to others Just bought an acre of nice lawn and in need of a ZTR that cuts nice and semi compact for the garage storage. I've admired the Kubota 122, but in doubt about the Briggs engine. I read too often the negative reviews on that engine(and also thats its made in China now). I've looked at the Grasshopper 100series, but it too has a Commercial Briggs! Should I stay away from this engine...or even the ZTRs mentioned above. My budget is $5,000. I'm naturally in a confused state with all the choices! What else is new? LOL But, any advice on the Briggs and ZTR's would be appreciated. Thanks, Evansville, IN

I have traded a John Deere 110 ride on for a z122 zero turn. I am very happy. I have a solid warrantee period so it is not in the manufacturers interest to put a dodgy engine in.... Think about it.

If you have a uneven cutting surface, consider upgrading the seat, forget the lights, you should be drinking beer at that time, not mowing your lawn mate! Seriously though, I love Japanese technology (I also drive a Subaru) and recommend this mower.

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #17  
I just bought a new z122 and it has a Kawasaki engine?

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #18  
It seems every motor "seller" has problems from time to time...

Most small motors are now made in china, Kohler, Deere, Briggs ect...

Kawasaki also sold motors that failed... Remember the plastic timing gears that failed??

Personally, I like the B&S Vanguard motors... I can't find fault with the ones I own...

BTW, I LOVE my Grasshopper...

SR

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #19  
I would look at something with a Kawasaki. I've heard too many bad things about Briggs other than the Vanguard line. I hear mostly good about commercial Kawi and Kholer EFI motors.

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #20  
Good to see that for some 2014 is just like a few days ago.:D