Mowing A Kubota Z122 with Briggs?

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #1  

Jetjockey

Tractor
None
Hello Everyone. I'm new to this site and have enjoyed all the great info passed on to others Just bought an acre of nice lawn and in need of a ZTR that cuts nice and semi compact for the garage storage. I've admired the Kubota 122, but in doubt about the Briggs engine. I read too often the negative reviews on that engine(and also thats its made in China now). I've looked at the Grasshopper 100series, but it too has a Commercial Briggs! Should I stay away from this engine...or even the ZTRs mentioned above. My budget is $5,000. I'm naturally in a confused state with all the choices! What else is new? LOL But, any advice on the Briggs and ZTR's would be appreciated. Thanks, Evansville, IN

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #2  
Jet,
My 2 cents: I would stay away from the Briggs. Not too long ago, I bought a log splitter with a quote unquote Industrial Briggs 12.5 hp engine. At 76 hours, the motor refused to start. The valves had loosen up and needed adjusting. I bought a riding lawn mower with a 15 hp Kawasaki twin motor 11 years ago. It now has over 300 hours and never once hiccupped.
If I were you, I would look for something with a Kubota, Honda, or Kawasaki motor.

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #3  
You can buy a very nice used Exmark for that kind of money. They usually come with Kholer or Kawasaki engines.

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #4  
there was a point years ago where we had some strong preference between engine brands, today I can say that they are all pretty much equal within their given price ranges.

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #5  
They all have their problems. Briggs just sells more units then anyone else so you hear a proportionally higher number of stories. That being said my current Briggs ELS failed at about 100 hours with a bad cylinder head.

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs?
I am finding a wide variety of opinion. But, the Briggs makes different quality lines, and that's what warranties are for. A 37 yr mechanic yesterday said he loves Briggs. He didn't badmouth the others except one. So, if I choose a $5000 mower with a commercial grade, whatever it has as a power plant, something could go wrong. Now to figure which mower:) leaning today toward a Ferris. Comments? Stay tuned.

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #7  
I am finding a wide variety of opinion. But, the Briggs makes different quality lines, and that's what warranties are for. A 37 yr mechanic yesterday said he loves Briggs. He didn't badmouth the others except one. So, if I choose a $5000 mower with a commercial grade, whatever it has as a power plant, something could go wrong. Now to figure which mower:) leaning today toward a Ferris. Comments? Stay tuned.

I was talking to my local Ferris dealer last week and he will only stock units with briggs motors, because he 'claimed' that dealing with Kawi was often a pain... take it for what it's worth.

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs?
Thanks Tim. Ferris is owned by B&S. might be a reason for easier maintenance.
I like the shock absorber idea for a better ride on the back.
I've heard more than one story about rough riding ZTRs.

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #9  

And you know that Ferris makes Simplicity and SnapperPro.... same machines, slightly different combinations of features and running gear.

/ A Kubota Z122 with Briggs? #10  

Which Ferris are you considering? How does the pricing compare to the Kubota's? Having a Kubota dealer close to work/home and my last mowers durability has me sold on a Kubota, but I am also concerned about rough ride as my current kubota has suspension in the tail and we are probably a bit spoiled by that.

I have had a Kubota Rider for 16yrs, phenominal mower. Looking at replacing it and had zero'd in on the Z122, then found this thread and wonder if I should do the Upgrade for the spring seat, lights and different engine?

I have 1acre, current rig is a 1998 Kubota T1560, 14hp, 44" deck with assisted bagger.