A great success!

/ A great success! #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Today was the first time I used the 3016 for skidding . Previously I had a JD 750. The difference between the two is night and day. I was done in half the time. Where a 60' oak 18"dbh would take 4 or 5 trips with the Deere, the 3016 took two. One for the trunk, and more amazingly, one for the crown. It just kept pulling. Loader strength has also doubled. I was initially concerned about something on the tractor such as some fel hydraulic lines were in jeopardy but came out unscathed this day. My woods are very dense and to be able to pull crowns out whole is a giant time saver. I'm tickled pink with the thing.

Attachments

• P1013430.jpg
    P1013430.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 337
  • P1013434.jpg
    P1013434.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 394
  • P1013435.jpg
    P1013435.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 347
  • P1013437.jpg
    P1013437.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 318
   / A great success! #2  
Glad your new tractor is working out for you! I remember you were having doubts at first. Looks good!

/ A great success! #4  
Looks good Arrow, with those chains on there I bet it is a real "tugger". I am glad it worked out for you:thumbsup:

/ A great success! #5  
I like it! :thumbsup:

/ A great success!
Glad your new tractor is working out for you! I remember you were having doubts at first. Looks good!

Boy did I ever. Mostly it was because of memories with the old unit with my kids and grand kids and how the thing was just a part of me. If anyone has ever owned a horse or a dog that seemingly whose main purpose in life was to please you, that's what the 3016 has been so far. I didn't even like it at first and sorry I got rid of the Deere. Then as time went on and the 3016 just kept having success stories with what I threw at it, I started liking it more and more. Today was the acid test however and it passed with flying colors. Even though larger, it had as much maneuverability as the smaller Deere as its turning radius is better. Didn't have to cut a thing down for passage. I hope the 3016 doesn't grow up with one of those "approval complexes" of always needing to please the parent. I was pretty hard on it at the beginning.

/ A great success!
Looks good Arrow, with those chains on there I bet it is a real "tugger". I am glad it worked out for you:thumbsup:

James those chains were on the old 750. It had 9.5x24's. I had to lengthen them 3 or 4 side links but they actually fit better on the 11.2's. They also protect the tire somewhat. I don't know of a rougher environment for a c.u.t. ( or anything for that matter) to be in than in dense woods pulling 3 or 4 thousand pounds.

/ A great success! #8  
On the FEL lines;

When my 3016 comes back from a long "sleep-over" at the dealer, I'm gonna reroute the FEL lines so they pass through the R/S stirrup instead of passing behind it. I got the OK from the dealer when I dropped it off. I have them double-wrapped where they make rubber to metal contact but the debris (such as a rogue piece of barbed wire) coming off the R/S tire and striking the lines is of concern to me.

Then I plan to convert some 3" perforated drainage tube into loom and tripple-protect the critical areas.

/ A great success!
On the FEL lines;

When my 3016 comes back from a long "sleep-over" at the dealer, I'm gonna reroute the FEL lines so they pass through the R/S stirrup instead of passing behind it. I got the OK from the dealer when I dropped it off. I have them double-wrapped where they make rubber to metal contact but the debris (such as a rogue piece of barbed wire) coming off the R/S tire and striking the lines is of concern to me.

Then I plan to convert some 3" perforated drainage tube into loom and tripple-protect the critical areas.

That's a good idea Trask. I had the same concern and was formulating an idea for a metal "plate" of some kind tied into the fender bolts for just the area you describe. One errant 1" sapling caught in the tire lugs or chain coming around and meeting the h/lines there would cause quite the mess. Cheez you still don't have your baby back? They ever pin-point the problem?

/ A great success! #10  
Looking Good Arrow,

Is this on your property up the road? You're woods look very similar to mine.... so must be.

Batten down the hatches, we've got some snow on the way.

-J