A few questions about new skid steer

/ A few questions about new skid steer #1  

mooch

I have been looking at buying a new skid steer. Probably S590. I have a hobby farm and will use it for building projects, manure, round bales of hay, and snowplowing. Probably only 30-50 hours a year. I also have a Kubota KX71 mini excavator and a kubota L3430 CUT with FEL. I have a few questions about the skid if anyone has opinions:

1. Would this be as good as or better than my tractor for plowing snow? I am probably going to get a cab on it so i can have heat while plowing.

2. I was going to get the standard foot controls, since I am new to skid steers and will be using it so little I am not sure I need the joysticks. I am also a little concerned the joysticks will mess up my use of the excavator. Anybody have joysticks on a skid and switches between the skid and excavator frequently?

3. Do I need 2 speeds?

thanks

/ A few questions about new skid steer #2  
I hate the foot controls personally.

It isn't as big a problem to go between skid steer and excavator as it is to go between excavator and backhoe.

That's just my opinion however.

/ A few questions about new skid steer #3  
1. Would this be as good as or better than my tractor for plowing snow? I am probably going to get a cab on it so i can have heat while plowing.

I asked this question on the answer I got was on a skid steer all 4 wheels pull vs a compact tractor can have a max of 3 pulling. The skid steer also has better weight distribution. So yes they will out plow a compact tractor.

/ A few questions about new skid steer #4  
I asked this question on the answer I got was on a skid steer all 4 wheels pull vs a compact tractor can have a max of 3 pulling. The skid steer also has better weight distribution. So yes they will out plow a compact tractor.

All 4 wheels pull on a tractor unless one starts spinning. Skids are heavier and tougher which means they work better on hard ground and worse on soft ground.

/ A few questions about new skid steer #5  
Plowing snow with a skidsteer works well, until the snow gets deep.

If you're using a blade and casting the snow off to the side (plowing driveway) the lack of groundspeed will catch up to you. Efficient casting requires speed to throw the snow as far as possible, a single speed skidsteer doesn't go very fast, the snow will build up and fall off the windrow under your tires.

Never tried a 2 speed unit so I can't tell you how well it would work.

I used to have a 6' blade on my 743, with a large snowfall it felt like you were using a spoon. Sold the blade and decided to stay in the truck where it was a lot warmer.

Ed

/ A few questions about new skid steer #6  
All 4 wheels pull on a tractor unless one starts spinning. Skids are heavier and tougher which means they work better on hard ground and worse on soft ground.

A skid steer will have 25% power going to each wheel were a tractor won't.

/ A few questions about new skid steer #7  
A skid steer will have 25% power going to each wheel were a tractor won't.

Right. It won't if one starts slipping. Otherwise its all 4 pulling.

/ A few questions about new skid steer #8  
Mooch, have you considered a compact telehandler?

There are several brands available with a SSQA attachment plate. Mine has a top speed of 15 mph, cab with heat and A/C.

It will move some dirt!
:thumbsup:
P4180002.JPG P4180014.JPG

More info in this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/bobcat-construction-equipment/160568-compact-telehandler.html

/ A few questions about new skid steer
Oh boy XFaxman I dont think I needed to see that!!!

/ A few questions about new skid steer #10