A Few Ford 4000 Questions...

/ A Few Ford 4000 Questions... #1  

TBigLug

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 401C
I just picked up a new to me 4000 (3 cyl. gas) today and wondered if you all could help me out a little.

First can anyone decode the numbers under the hood for me?

S/N: C277906
MODEL: D1424C
UNIT: OF29B
ENGINE: 0E01B
TRANS: 0B19B

First main problem it has is it is leaking fuel out of the carbureator. PO's father in law bought the tractor with it needing a carb rebuild. He did it (he's not mechanically inclined at all). Afterwords it would run but leaked fuel out the carb. They shut it off and left it sit in the polebarn since they bought a new Kubota loader tractor and decided not to use the Ford. Basically it sat there for years until they gave it to my buddy as a housewarming gift (wanted to get it out of the way in the polebarn more likely). He didn't need it so he in turn sold it to me for basically scrap price. I want to pull the carb off and rebuild it properly so i know it's done right. The carb says Holley on the side but all the kits I see are for Marvel - Shebler. Where can I go to find a kit for this carb? Is this an original carb or was it something pulled off a differant tractor?

Any tips or tricks to the clean up and rebuild of the carb or is it pretty straight forward? Should I avoid using the carb dip I used with my truck carbs? I have some experience rebuilding Holley 4-bbl's so I don't think this one should be too hard.

I want to put a loader on it for moving 20 - 40 rounds a year and doing a little bit of dirt moving and manure hauling. I understand from searching the forum that there are two options for front ends. One is stout and can handle a loader and one is not. Mine has bars that run from the front end back to the transmission area. Is that the good one or the weker one? Can a loader still be used on the weaker one with some success?

What model loaders will fit my tractor? I don't want to spend a bundle on a brand new loader so a used one is more my speed. I'm mechanically inclined so mounting one mysef shouldn't be too awful of an ordeal I just need to know which ones to look for.

I want to do a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser, oil change, etc.). Are there any kits out there to avoid or will they all accomplish the same thing?

That's about it for now. I appreciate everyone's help in advance. I just ordered the Shop Manual eBay 400192092662 to start reading up on what I'm getting myself into so I'm sure some of these questions will be answered in there but I like to hear the opinions of real live people who have been there and done that. From what I have read on the site so far, it looks like I got a good deal on a good well built little tractor that should fit the bill for me nicely.

/ A Few Ford 4000 Questions...
One more thing, how big of a capacity loader will these tractors handle? I'm hoping somewhere in the 2,000# range in case I have to pull a motor or something with it. It has loaded back tires as well. Also, how much weight will the 3 pt. safely handle as far as lift capacity and weight bearing in case I need to build a bracket to hang some tractor weights off of the back for balance.

/ A Few Ford 4000 Questions... #3  
One more thing, how big of a capacity loader will these tractors handle? I'm hoping somewhere in the 2,000# range in case I have to pull a motor or something with it. It has loaded back tires as well. Also, how much weight will the 3 pt. safely handle as far as lift capacity and weight bearing in case I need to build a bracket to hang some tractor weights off of the back for balance.

A Ford 4000 is a pretty popular machine and many aftermarket loader manufacturers will have installation kits for it.Google up Ezee-on, Westendorf, Quicke, Great Bend, Bush Hog etc and see wahts available for your tractor and wher ethere's a dealer. and see. They are usually ratedby tractor horsepower range. Make sure that whatever you get, that the front bucket is at least as wide as the front wheel track. iI have an EzeePN 2070 on my Ford 4610 and it been a great loader for me. I don't know how big your hydraulic pump is but if it's the standard one, don't expect blinding speed out of the loader controls. There's not enough flow unless you have an auxilliary pump. From your serial number, the C indicates it was made in one of Ford's Michigan plants. Google Ford serial numbers and you might be able to find the codes. If not someone more familiar than I might be able to help.

As far as the carb, it's most likely either has a poorly adjusted float or the floats are leaking and holding the float valve open. There should be a tank valve on the fuel supply. Close that when you're not using it and it will keep the carb from flooding til you can fix it.
Your factory shop manuals and the owners manual will give you the info about 3 pt lift capability and ballasting. Tune up kits are available at your NH dealer, NAPA, or off the web.

Last edited:
Started doing some loader searching today. What models interchange with the 4000? I've found a couple of loaders and need some more experienced advice.

Ford Model 7413 go/ no go
Ford 730 off of 3000 go/ no go
Ford 19-529 off of 3400 go/ no go
Ford 776 off of 2110 go/ no go
Ford 703 off of ??? go/ no go

The 703 ad says it fits a bunch of tractors (1801, 1811, 1821, 1841, 1871, 1881, 2N, 2000, 4000, 4030, 4031, 4040, 4110, 4120, 4130, 4131, 600, 601, 620, 630, 640, 650, 660, 700, 740, 800, 801, 811, 820, 821, 840, 841, 850, 851, 860, 861, 871, 881, 8N , 900, 901, 941, 950, 951, 960, 961, 971, 981, 9N, NAA, NAB 2000 3000) but I have a hard time believing what anyone who is trying to tell me something says.

Also, does anyone sell brackets to put a loader off another tractor onto my 4000? Like say, a John Deere loader or IH loader?

/ A Few Ford 4000 Questions... #6  
a loader for a three cylinder 4000 has to be made specifily for it or a 4600 4610 4630 anything of of a 3000 for unless it is a quick attach and u will need the brackets for the 4000 sieres
Ford Model 7413 no go
Ford 730 off of 3000 no go
Ford 19-529 off of 3400 no go
Ford 776 off of 2110 go will need the brackets for the 4000
Ford 703 off of ??? no go

google 2060 ezee-on that is the model for that tractor from them

and where or u located

I'm up in MI but I'd travel up to about 400 miles to pick up a loader that would work.

I updated my information to help out. So what you're saying is I could use a loader off of a 3000 series if I had brackets made to put it on mine? Sorry been a long day so I didn't quite get the information processed.

I also have a tire question, the tractor has 7.6-16's on the front right now, would it be better for flotation and loader work to swap those out for some 9.5-15's? I really like the Gensco aircraft tires. Super duty number of plies and tough as nails.

Big question, is my tractor 6 or 12 volt? Didn't have a battery in it when I brought it home and don't want to stick a 12 in there if it is a 6. How can I tell?

/ A Few Ford 4000 Questions... #10  
Big question, is my tractor 6 or 12 volt? Didn't have a battery in it when I brought it home and don't want to stick a 12 in there if it is a 6. How can I tell?

ALL 65+ / 3 cyl machines were 12v from the factory.

all diesels 59+ were 12v from the factory....

all 12v units were negative ground.

4 cyl gassers from 39-64 were 6v positive ground from the factory..

front and rear geometry on a 3000 is going to be different from a 4000. trnas bellhousing holes will be the most part in common.. some loaders will fit both with different bracket arangements.

soundguy