A fenceman can fence anything, almost....

/ A fenceman can fence anything, almost.... #1  

wroughtn_harv

Tractor
2013 Volvo MC85C
An engineering firm called a couple of weeks ago. Said something about needing a creative mind on a job.

Me?

It seems there's this hill.....

Attachments

• DSC01103 (Custom).JPG
    DSC01103 (Custom).JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,277
  • DSC01105 (Custom).JPG
    DSC01105 (Custom).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,080
  • DSC01107 (Custom).JPG
    DSC01107 (Custom).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,005
  • DSC01108 (Custom).JPG
    DSC01108 (Custom).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 1,014
   / A fenceman can fence anything, almost.... #2  
I don't know much about fencing, but I've mowed my share of lawns, and that one has "Challange" written all over it!!!!

Have fun,
Eddie

/ A fenceman can fence anything, almost....
They wanted to know if I had any ideas on how to build a walkway from up there to down here.

"I'm a fenceman" I said. "I'd put in a fence, flat fence, but still a fence."

"Huh?" was their reply.

So I explained to the engineer my idea.

He introduced me to the lady of the house and I explained my idea to her.

A week later I emailed the numbers to the engineering company. Owner called me back and we went over the details. One hour later I had a message on the voice mail that we were a go.

The first thing we had to do was set posts.

Attachments

• DSC02946 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02946 (Custom).JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 947
  • DSC02953 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02953 (Custom).JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 752
  • DSC02955 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02955 (Custom).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 706
  • DSC02956 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02956 (Custom).JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 821
In my world nothing's really easy, well, hardly anything.

And I'll admit to fault that things aren't easy is mine.

You take digging post holes.....

Attachments

• DSC02949 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02949 (Custom).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 752
  • DSC02950 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02950 (Custom).JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 618
  • DSC02951 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02951 (Custom).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 596
  • DSC02952 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02952 (Custom).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 659
Of course once the posts are set then a fenceman has to cut in the rails.

But before the fenceman can cut in the rails he must get the rails to the location of the fence.

Here we park on the neighbor's driveway.

Then we haul the rails (9.9 lbs per foot, ten foot length) beside the house to the fence location.

Of course this was true of the posts and concrete too. But that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone.

Attachments

• DSC02958 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02958 (Custom).JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 717
  • DSC02959 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02959 (Custom).JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 601
  • DSC02960 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02960 (Custom).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 632
The rails are tough.

They're tough to cut, tough to handle on the sidehill, and tough to weld up.

But I've got the three by four landing at the top framed and two sections going down the hill complete, fifteen to go.

Attachments

• DSC02962 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02962 (Custom).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC02963 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02963 (Custom).JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 561
  • DSC02964 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02964 (Custom).JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 597
  • DSC02965 (Custom).JPG
    DSC02965 (Custom).JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 714
Enough being cute.

The concept is to build a set of tracks up the hill. The rails are four by four by three eighths inch angle. The posts are three and a half inch schedule forty pipe (4" O.D.) in Maximizer concrete (5500 psi). The holes are four to five feet deep and twelve inches in diameter.

The hill is an engineered hill. That means it's layered stable soil compacted with geo-grid fabric every eighteen inches or less. This hill would have a problem moving in San Francisco, much less north of Dallas, Texas.

I hope to have the welding all done by Friday. Weather permitting Monday we'll have seventy pieces of sandstone delievered to the location. Each stone is dimensionally cut two feet by three feet and four inches thick. The estimate is each piece will weigh in the neighborhood of three hundred and twenty pounds.

The fun part will be getting the stones to their final locations. We can't get any equipment in so we'll have to use southern engineering (at least three IQ points better than yankee ingenuity) ;>) and laborers.

Speaking of laborers. There are Mexican laborers on this job. They are legal. They also have been with the engineering company from seven to twenty five years.

Each stone is two feet by three feet. The pathway will be three feet wide with the bank being one edge. The other edge will have a hand rail.

According to my guestimating I'm looking at an average of twelve inches of tread and four inches of rise per step. The first stone placed will be the bottom most one. The next stone will rest on it and the rail. I'm using adhesives and pins to locate the stones to each other and the railing.

I hope you enjoy this adventure with me.

EddieWalker said:
I don't know much about fencing, but I've mowed my share of lawns, and that one has "Challange" written all over it!!!!

Have fun,
Eddie

Eddie it was one of those deals where all the way over to the job riding with the owner of the engineering company I'm trying to figure out what I could bring to the table that hadn't been offered in spades before.

I walked down to the bottom and looked up. I instantly saw the walkway and how to do it.

My son who's working with me never really understood exactly what we were doing besides hurting big time until today when we had the sections of rails in and I explained how the stones would rest on each other and the railing.

I've never seen a walkway made this way before. But between the natural beauty of the stone, the unique handrail I've got in mind, and the lighting, did I mention the lighting?

I think it's going to be special.

/ A fenceman can fence anything, almost.... #9  
Another WOW project from Harvey Lacey. I can't wait to watch the progress of this one.

/ A fenceman can fence anything, almost.... #10  
I'm with your son here. I don't see it yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes about.

I love the use of stone in just about everything, and the idea of using it as the treads for the stairs should look amazing. It's the details on how your going to do it that I'm most interested in!!!!

I'm starting to wonder if you're still a fenceman, or if your evolving into a rockman. More and more of your projects seem to revolve around the use of rock and ways to incorperate it into your projects!!!!!!!!

Eddie