A Drain Cleaner that Works!

/ A Drain Cleaner that Works! #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well after spending a lot of money on drain cleaner to correct a slow shower drain, I tried "Liquid PlumR" by Clorox. The stuff works. I guess the tip off is the container is divided down the middle-so the components don't work until you dump it in the drain. And let me tell you, I had been trying to snake this out with wire etc. Nothing worked-except this stuff.

/ A Drain Cleaner that Works! #3  
Whats in it ?

The active ingredients in Liquid-Plumr (and in Drano) are sodium hydroxide and sodium hypochlorite. The product is used by pouring it into a clogged drain. The ingredients react with water and break down material they come into contact with. As it travels down the pipe, the heavy fluid releases heat and dissolves grease, soap, hair and other foreign matter that commonly collects in household drains. The sodium hypochlorite (bleach) also dissolves hair and other organic matter. The active ingredients break down quickly so as not to do any corrosive damage to sewer and septic systems. The product is rated safe for metal and PVC pipes.

Read more: Active Ingredients in Liquid Plumber | eHow.com Active Ingredients in Liquid Plumber | eHow.com

/ A Drain Cleaner that Works! #4  
Whats in it ?

Liquid-Plumr is a chemical drain opener made of 0.5–2% sodium hydroxide and 5–10% sodium hypochlorite, and a surfactant, produced by the Clorox Corporation

So sodium hydroxide=lye and sodium hypochlorite = bleach. and a surfacant= some kind of soap/dirt dissolver.

your welcome:)

James K0UA

/ A Drain Cleaner that Works! #5  
well heck I am 3 minutes late... again..
:)

/ A Drain Cleaner that Works! #6  
Well, I haven't been impressed with any of the over-the-counter stuff I've tried so far. Must be my wife's wirey hair. Don't tell her I said that. !

/ A Drain Cleaner that Works! #7  
I guess they have it diluted enough to be safe (????) but mixing bleach with lye will release chlorine gas and is dangerous. When I was a kid experimenting with chemistry, I did that and it was not fun! I even did it outside and still got gassed. Pay close attention to the directions!

Ken

/ A Drain Cleaner that Works! #8  
The problem with using chemicals is having to work on the drain if the chemicals don't work. What works best for me is to stuff a water hose in the hole and seal it with a rag, good and tight, and let it rip.

/ A Drain Cleaner that Works! #9  
The problem with using chemicals is having to work on the drain if the chemicals don't work. What works best for me is to stuff a water hose in the hole and seal it with a rag, good and tight, and let it rip.

This doesn't always work the way intended.
At work a man asked how to get the commode drain unstuck. and I suggested the water hose and old towell wraped around the hose to keep from messing up. He did and next day could tell he was out of good feelings toward us so asked what is wrong. His reply was opened bathroom window brought water hose in and stuck in commode Wife turned on the water in a few minutes she started to yelling and saying words he didn't know she knew . released the hose it squarted water over the bathroom then the commode erupted into a return flow of water from the vent pipe to again flood the room. the water filled vent pipe ran down the valley and lit on top of his wife outside waiting to be told to turn off the hose.
This is the reason I said not always works as planned.
ken

/ A Drain Cleaner that Works!
My guess is that what separates Liquid Plumbr from the rest of the products (labels all read pretty much the same) is the fact that the ingredients are separated by the baffle that splits the bottle in two. It would seem that you then benefit by the immediate chemical reaction that occurs when the components come together. Like I said-it worked after ..."pouring a lot of money down the drain":thumbsup: