9N? 2N with 9N engine?

/ 9N? 2N with 9N engine? #1  

whodat90

Silver Member
Tractor
B7200D, B8200D
9n Tractor

Serial number is *9n989* but it has the three-spoke steering wheel and oval radius rods. Any help would be appreciated, picking it up friday.
whodat

/ 9N? 2N with 9N engine? #2  
9n 989 would indicte very early 9n.

front spindles with forward pointing grease fittings seem to agree with that.

oval radius rods came out in 1944 to repalce the i-beam rods.. so figure they are a replacement.. U see what looks to be a front pump crank drive.. so figure it had a laoder on it at some time.. that may have damaged the radius rods.. when hitting something.. etc.. I see the radiator is a repalcement small tank / 4 psi system as well.. oem rad was a large top tank / 0psi system.

Also looks maybee like the dash is cast aluminum.. that would be correct for that low sn unit. too bad the hood looks like steel.. which means it too was repalced.. as it should have been cast aluminum as well.

cast aluminum parts are more valuable...

soundguy

/ 9N? 2N with 9N engine? #3  
Have no idea what the contraption is that is boxy and over the 3pt lift.

also.. get a picture of the rear axle hubs. if they are the original smooth kind vs the reinforced/replacement/upgraded rivited hubs, they are worth some money too.

soundguy

/ 9N? 2N with 9N engine? #5  
Rivited hubs.. but that's fine.. ford issued them as replacement for the 1-piece cast hubs.

Hmm.. tires.. tell me what they are.. aren't 9-32 by chance are they.. if so.. they are very early rear rims..

Soundguy

/ 9N? 2N with 9N engine?
Yup, 9-32 tires. Here's the update so far:
Pulled the head off. one broken valve, one rather rusty cylinder. All cylinders were siezed, but some work with a block of wood, mallet, and penetrating oil got them freed up. The broken valve is also rusted into it's guide. Still, doesn't look too bad. The back half of the tractor is rusty as heck, but otherwise very solid. Input shaft turns freely, gears move through all the gears, oil level in the gearbox was a touch low but it was high enough to keep all the gears covered. Hydraulic system seems fine. Using my cordless drill to turn the pto shaft, the 3pt arms raise and lower appropriately. One back tire has a slow leak, and I assume one front tire as well. When I picked up the tractor (halves) one each were flat, but both took air and are still holding it. One of the spindles has had the spindle arm welded onto it. Carb is dirty, but surprisingly in good shape; both the throttle plate and choke plate were closed, so not much was able to get into the carb. The distributor had a mud-dauber wasp nest in it (inactive) but otherwise seems to be in good shape. Haven't taken off the governor yet. The starter was inop, but a bit of work freeing up the brushes got it going strongly again. There's no wiring left to speak of, so that'll have to be made. All in all, I'm cautiously optimistic.

/ 9N? 2N with 9N engine? #7  
The rear rims are rare.. 9-32 was a very eary option.. so were the spindles with front facing grease fittings.

if the weld job is good on the font spindle.. clean it up and keep it.

Check to make sure there is not water under that oil int he tranny.. normal tranny gear oil level is way low.. like only 2" to 3" up the sides of the housing.. etc.

So far seems like a good find.

That engine can with thin .040 'steel can' type liners, vs the cast iron .090 liners of the later units.. so if the partent bore is ok.. you can repalce the liners.. same with valve and guide.. they are repalceable.. early valves were not rotating 'mushroom stem' types..

soundguy

/ 9N? 2N with 9N engine?
Alas, it's destined to be yard art. Two cracks in the block, one vertical one ~6" long running up the corner by the water pump, another that runs horizontally from halfway up that one back along the left side of the block almost all the way the the rear of the engine. Shame.

/ 9N? 2N with 9N engine? #9  
Don't kick it to the curb yet.

You can usually find a used block from john smith at:

Smith's Old Ford Tractors

Or Don barkely at:

Just 8N's

If that doesn't pan out.. post back.. there is usyally someone on YT parting an N out.

Soundguy

/ 9N? 2N with 9N engine?
Nope, for right now it's dead in the water. That said, my plan isn't necessarily to abandon it; I'll preserve it as best I can and put it out in the yard until something changes. I can't justify dumping money into it, since I already have a working tractor. As I figure it, if I get another block ($375 at Smith's) I'll need the complete rebuild kit with new sleeves, etc. for another $400. If only those two things are needed, I'm still in for ~$800 plus all the little bolts, parts, etc. that it'll need. Looking at ebay, 9/8/2ns are going for around $1200 for a runner. What made this tractor cool was the low serial number. Without that, it's just a tractor. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to metal stitch the cracks back together and get it running.