990 2WD

/ 990 2WD #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
I have been thinking about upsizing a little. The Farmi winch is a little heavy for my Cub Cadet. Wheelies on motorcycles are cool. Wheelies on tractors are not.
I have been looking at Green and Orange. I need more PTO power and a heavier tractor to run a winch and a hydraulic-feed chipper.
I am probably going to keep my Cub for loader work for a couple of reasons: 1). I still like it, 2). Nobody will give me squat for it on trade-in /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Anyway, I was thinking 990 2WD R1 (ag) tires with a stack of weights on the front. I am not worried about getting stuck.
Is this tractor enough HP to run a winch and chipper effectively?
I do not care about bells and whistles. I like hydro, but don't need it. I don't want another old tractor because I want to use it and not spend lots of time fixing it (going to sell my 200 to my brother-in-law to make space). I have also been considering similar size 2WD Kubotas. The JD 10 and 20 seies are too expensive and too extravagant for my needs.
I pretty much know what I want, but need you guys as a sounding board. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 990 2WD
I forgot to ask: "What's a good ballpark price for this machine?" The only options I am considering are front end weights and a rear hydraulic coupler. Thanks!

/ 990 2WD #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The Farmi winch is a little heavy for my Cub Cadet. Is this tractor enough HP to run a winch and chipper effectively
)</font>

Greenrules,
I would think a 990 is plenty for the Farmi winch.
Although I haven't used it much (yet), I have yet to have a problem with my much smaller JD770. My dad was running the same winch with his Ford 1720 (probably around 30hp?) with no problems.

Sorry, no idea on pricing.
Brian

/ 990 2WD #4  
If you're sure you're OK with 2wd - and if you're willing to go with 'near new' and not 'brand new' - take a look at the used listings. When I was gathering up pricing info I noticed it seemed that any 2wd CUT took a big hit on resale value. Rather than let that be your loss buying new - maybe you can let that depreciation work for you and get an otherwise nice low hours tractor for an attractive price.