'99 Ford 7.3L air bleeding

/ '99 Ford 7.3L air bleeding #1  

Wolfy

Veteran Member
Tractor
a fleet of them
The fuel tank straps rusted off. I undid the lines, removed the tank, fixed the straps, remounted the tank. I have bled diesels before, just not this one. My '94 7.3L NA had a bleeder valve, but this '99 does not seem to?

/ '99 Ford 7.3L air bleeding #2  
Any chance the '94 was a mechanical fuel pump ?

I'm thinking the '99 will be electric, might be the difference....

Rgds, D.

/ '99 Ford 7.3L air bleeding
Assuming it is electric, can it still be bled? My others diesels are mechanical, this might the one oddball.

/ '99 Ford 7.3L air bleeding #4  
Assuming it is electric, can it still be bled? My others diesels are mechanical, this might the one oddball.

Not sure on yours. Best place to get a fast answer is something like powerstroke.org. There are guys on here that will know, but plenty of engine geeks hang out on powerstroke.org.

Rgds, D.

/ '99 Ford 7.3L air bleeding #5  
99 is a heui injection system should just have to crank the engine over and it will bleed itself as it relies in the high pressure oil to fire the injectors instead of the high pressure fuel to open the injectors

/ '99 Ford 7.3L air bleeding #6  
99 is a heui injection system should just have to crank the engine over and it will bleed itself as it relies in the high pressure oil to fire the injectors instead of the high pressure fuel to open the injectors

Agreed, I would drain the fuel out of the filter bowl and get it to refill a couple of times and crank it over. Low oil in the engine (resulting in low oil in the high pressure oil pump (HPOP)), or slow cranking due to bad batteries, will make it a bear to start, especially after what you just repaired!

/ '99 Ford 7.3L air bleeding
Thanks guys. After looking at the engine a second time, I did notice a little yellow lever which I realized to be a water drain. So I opened it, got clean diesel, closed it, hoping Fireman was right, cranked like normal. It fired right up and ran good. Then I opened the water drain again, closed it, and idled the truck for a bit. It seems fine now.

/ '99 Ford 7.3L air bleeding #8  
yup. you can cycle the electric pump a few times.. change the filter.. etc. and should be good to go.

/ '99 Ford 7.3L air bleeding #9  
X2 on the advice to check out powerstroke.org. You will find myself and at least one other TBN'er over there... good folks and good advice much like here. Yeah there are a few, shall we say, less than helpful posters, but you will find that anywhere.

I use the same s/n most places...

As you might gather from my sig I'm a big fan of 7.3 psd's.