8n need to change crankshaft pulley. How hard?

/ 8n need to change crankshaft pulley. How hard? #1  

ben2go

Gold Member
My cranshaft pulley is so warped it's throwing the belt when I actually tighten it enough to stop the belt from slipping on the water pump and alternator. DO I have to seperate the front axle from the tractor to change it? I know the front sheet metal has to come off and the radiator. Also, where can I buy another pulley? Can they even be had new? I'm also assuming I'll need to replace the seal. I've never been that deep into an 8n.

/ 8n need to change crankshaft pulley. How hard? #2  
My cranshaft pulley is so warped it's throwing the belt when I actually tighten it enough to stop the belt from slipping on the water pump and alternator. DO I have to seperate the front axle from the tractor to change it? I know the front sheet metal has to come off and the radiator. Also, where can I buy another pulley? Can they even be had new? I'm also assuming I'll need to replace the seal. I've never been that deep into an 8n.
Ag-States should have the pulley for you.

/ 8n need to change crankshaft pulley. How hard? #5  
Been awhile since I was into the engine of an "N" tractor but I am mostly sure you will need to remove the front bolster to get enough room to remove the crankshaft pulley. You will need to drop the oil pan to replace the seal, if it is not leaking I would not bother changing it. I would use Just8N's for the part but there are many sources for "N" tractor parts around, may even be one in a city near you.

/ 8n need to change crankshaft pulley. How hard? #6  
Just tweak the pulley you have and get it more in line with the universe.

/ 8n need to change crankshaft pulley. How hard? #7  
   / 8n need to change crankshaft pulley. How hard?
Thanks guys. I looked it over really good. The front axle cradle will have to come off, so bigger job than I want to get into during tractor season. Save it for the fall. I'll try to tweak the pulley and get it close as possible. I didn't realize it was a sheet metal pulley. I can't really see in there that good.

/ 8n need to change crankshaft pulley. How hard? #9  
Yeah, at least the now available replacements are cast