8n leaking water

/ 8n leaking water #1  
My 8n ford is leaking water from somewhere behind the starter.:( :confused: What do I do first, pull the starter off and look ?? Dose anyone have any ideas as of what I might run into?? Thanks for any info

/ 8n leaking water #2  
From the location you describe I'd suggest a blown head gasket. If not the only other thing back there that has water in it is the water jacket in the block and you don;t want to be leaking water from that.

/ 8n leaking water #3  
I'd look at the head gasket last.. it quite a few inches away from the starter. FIRST thing I'd look at is a welch plug.

It's easy to pull the starter for an inspection. I like to pull the block drin petcock and then the 2 long screws for the starter. Make sure you slip a nut on one of the long screws, otherwise you will be writing back in asking how to put the starter back together with the captive brushes hanging in the way.

soundguy

/ 8n leaking water
I pulled the starter and yes it was the plug. The plug was broken and part of it is still in the hole. I tried to get it out but it doesn't want to move. Any tricks on getting them out??? Also the hole was full of crap and gunk, a friend of mine told me to take the power washer and shoot in the hole, will that hurt it? Thanks

/ 8n leaking water #5  
Pressure washer in the hole won't hurt it but will make a mess.

Time to pull the rad hoses and drain petcock and try to flush as much gunk as you can while the welch plug is out. I usually drive a screwdriver thrut he plug center and then push the SD to the side to put a bend int he plug.. and that usually bends it enough to get it to turn and then i pull it out with a pair of pliers. Can do the same with a hammer and chissle.. just get the plug to turn.. then snatch it out. Clean the hole with a scotchbrite pad, and then get a new plug. I use permatex of similar goo ont he outside of the plug, plus a microscopic smear around the ID of the hole.. especially if it was less than perfect. Set the plug in.. a wood dowel can be used to help.. then peen the center to expand..

Aren't you glad you didn't check the head gasket first!

soundguy

/ 8n leaking water
Thanks for the info Soundguy. Do you know if NAPA has these plugs or where do I find them? Thanks

/ 8n leaking water #7  
napa, car quest, cnh.. etc.

just get the plug id.

it's in the service and parts manual... i'm at work and don't have access to mine right now.

soundguy

/ 8n leaking water #8  
Ok.. here is the info.. plug is 1 3/16

1 3/16,NAPA # 219-1021

CNH 353454-S

Also can be had at just8ns.com 75 cents..

soundguy

/ 8n leaking water
After a frustrating hour of trying to get the remains of that plug out I still don't have it out. As you can see in the picture I tried to split it at the bottom with a hammer and screw driver but it just chips off and the thing won't move. I have been spraying it with WD-40 but nothing helps. Would it help if I take the torch and heat it or do you have any better advice?? Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0748.JPG
    DSCN0748.JPG
    697 KB · Views: 265
   / 8n leaking water #10  
How about trying more of a catalyst penetrator like Blaster on it
for a while, then torch it and tap with a hammer and
screwdriver. Given enough time, I'm sure that would work...