841 Carb issues

/ 841 Carb issues #1  

bundyal

Tractor
Ford/Old
Hi everybody. Ive got a pretty red Ford 841. Trouble is she wont keep running. I start her up and let her warm up 5 mins or so before I get on her. Ill put her in gear and slowly ease the clutch out and usually away we go. The main problem is when I try to run the brush cutter. whether its 1st gear or 2nd gear I try and run it in when I put the PTO on and ease out the clutch itll die no matter what RPMs Im at. The carbs been rebuilt after I got her and I had to have the governor fixed. The guy who fixed the guv said I should run the RPMs up to 1700 when Im cutting. Often after she dies on me its hard to start her back up. Got new fuel lines and a new fuel filter also. Any ideas? 1 other thing.I put a new fuel gauge and a tank assy but I cant get the gauge to work. I put pretty newish battery on her when I bought her and shell wear that thing down in no time.Ive checked the voltage om the battery and it shows 13.2 or so volts before I crank her. I know its a lot but can anyone help? Tjhanks.

/ 841 Carb issues #2  
Is fuel flowing freely past the filter? Are you sure the float in the carburetor is set correctly? Does the needle move freely off the seat and the float move freely up and down? If you can answer yes to those questions try draining the fuel to a gallon or two left in the tank. Add a can or two of Sea Foam. Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes to be sure you've had part of the mix flow into the carburetor. At that point kill the engine and let it sit over night. Start it again the next day and let it run awhile. It may be fine at this point or you may need to kill it and let it sit overnight again. I've used this method a couple times to avoid rebuilding carburetors.

/ 841 Carb issues #3  
I won't go into the fuel system adjustments right now but I believe your problem may be ignition related. Check your spark, pull a plug wire to see if you have bright snappy blue or lazy yellow spark. If it is yellow then we need to figure out why. If it is blue then the ignition is fine and the carb is out of adjustment, MANY good fuel systems have been screwed up because of bad spark.

As for the rpm's to run your engine at, the Proofmeter will have a mark on it showing the proper rpm for running at PTO speed.

/ 841 Carb issues #4  
Her carb rebuild wasn't done right or her governor adjustment was flubbed. The solution is simple,hire competent mechanics to work on her and she will be fine.