80w-90 Front Axle Gear Lube

/ 80w-90 Front Axle Gear Lube #1  

bcs001

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 Branson 3620H
I need to add a little to the Branson 3620H with about 20 hours on it. Dealer said it was checked at delivery but it’s about 1 inch below the dip stick. I’ve checked for leaks and do not see any so I’ll top off and keep a close eye on it.

Manual only specifies SAE 80w-90 so is any conventional GL5 80W-90 automotive gear oil ok to use?

Thanks,
Bruce

/ 80w-90 Front Axle Gear Lube #2  
If it takes GL-5 then yes. My new LS needed about a quart the first time I checked it, but it calls for GL-4. Went to the auto parts store and got a bottle of Valvoline 80w90 GL-4/5 for about $7 and it’s good to go.

/ 80w-90 Front Axle Gear Lube #3  
It’s usually recommended to change out at 50 by most manufacturers. So, If you’re going to change it at the 50 hours mark, why not leave it low till then. Dutchy

/ 80w-90 Front Axle Gear Lube #4  
Don't leave it low. Saving a few $$ in oil is not worth the potential of damaging front drive parts. Make sure you get the correct GL 4 vs 5.

Bransons with the axle vent on the right steering knuckle tend to leak fluid when operated or parked on right leaning slopes. You'll know that's happening because you'll see and smell the gear oil. Newer models moved the vent to the middle.

/ 80w-90 Front Axle Gear Lube
The manual surprisingly doesn't specify a GL rating, only SAE 80W-90. I will call the dealer to see what they say about that. I did check for leaks including the vent on the right side knuckle and see no evidence at the vent or any seal/joint. I agree its cheap insurance to just top it off for another 25 hours then do the change at 50.

/ 80w-90 Front Axle Gear Lube #6  
Are you sure it requires changing the axle oil at 50 hrs? My LS manual says check at 50, replace at 500 hrs. I had a 47 hp Branson years ago and IIRC it was 500 hrs as well for front axle oil change. May have been a little less (my memory isn’t what it used to be, lol) but it definitely wasn’t 50 hrs.

/ 80w-90 Front Axle Gear Lube #7  
I changed the front axle fluid on my 3725 at 50 hours. It's cheap insurance.

The dip stick cap should not be threaded in when measuring.

/ 80w-90 Front Axle Gear Lube
Are you sure it requires changing the axle oil at 50 hrs? My LS manual says check at 50, replace at 500 hrs. I had a 47 hp Branson years ago and IIRC it was 500 hrs as well for front axle oil change. May have been a little less (my memory isn’t what it used to be, lol) but it definitely wasn’t 50 hrs.
The dealer told me and the Branson manual specifies all fluids (except coolant) and filters (except air) at 50 hours. I'm with Eric, its cheap insurance.

I might also change out the blinker fluid while I'm at it!

/ 80w-90 Front Axle Gear Lube #9  
It's a simple front axle with simple gears after all. I think any 80W90 (GL4 or GL5) will work just fine.

Now, if it had a limited slip diff or something similar, that would be another case, where the type of oil is critical.

/ 80w-90 Front Axle Gear Lube #10  
I would not assume GL5 unless there was a spec that showed it. Yes, it makes a difference.