80ac rowcropped land... building a KY horse farm... 2nd on list... ROADS

/ 80ac rowcropped land... building a KY horse farm... 2nd on list... ROADS #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
We recently purchased 80ac of soybean/corn land in Northern KY. Its exactly where we want to be.

1st on the list of things is to get it into some grass... we have discussed what and how with the Co. Extension office as well as the local University, and I think we have a plan on that front.

But...

Now I need to build some roads.

I've added 2 attachments That show the topography as well as a Google Earth map. I have a couple issues that I need to work out and hope that you can help me with your knowledge.

1. There is only 1 road currently on OUR PART of the acreage (red boundry on GE maps), and it is on the East part of the property, coming off the road to the East and laying right along the property line. It is at the bottom of a small, long hill, and is necessary because of a line-of-site issue at anyplace other than this location or the very top of the hill. (along the neighbor's road which runs along the fence.)

- Everything in GREEN on the topo map is preliminary thoughts about the roads. It would begin on the road along the North/Northwest edge of the property (about 10 o'clock). The 'blind' end to the west of the property would be to our proposed final house site. (red box on West side)

- The 3 black buildings are proposed barn locations (although as can be seen on the GEmap, there is a barn already in the South/Southwest corner which we will refurbish and use initially.)

- First small house (future tenant or guest house which we will be living in while we build everything) is to the South middle (red box)

2. I am not at all convinced this road plan is best, but I need to check the lay of the land better this weekend, when I return to do some more work. The main spur off the 'house road' would lay close to a low area, but that low area is minimal as can be seen on the topo map. I've spoken with a couple people who believe that with the fields out of rowcrop and into sod, that there won't be any significant runoff and the 'low area' will not have any untoward running water. As it currently stands, there is a very small (8") washed 'ditch' just to the east of my proposed road about 20-30 feet. The Earth guys think that will disappear when the runoff stops with sod on the slight hills.

3. BUILDING the roads. Eventually, I would like to have paved roads on the place... but that is likely quite a ways off, if ever. So now, I have a couple options rolling around in my head.

- 1st would be standard gravel roads. This is what I grew up on and I have no problem with them. But I would like to build them in such a way that they can be paved in the future.

- 2. Making the 'stabilized dirt' roads via till, spray, mix, and pack. I am very interested in this, given the 'hype' I have seen about it. I grew up in the Southwest, and know the roads on the Reservation well. If it worked anywhere nearly as good as these roads appear to do... then I would really think hard about saving the money of gravel, and put this type of stabilized dirt road throughout the place. >> Bionic Soil Solutions & Bionic Roads for America!

- 3. And last, and perhaps what I need most from you all... The actual BUILDING of the roads... ie dirt work. Is it reasonable that I, with a 5100e FEL and a 4yd pull scraper, would be able to do the dirt work myself? I'm in money vs time saving mode... and Unfortunately, as with everyone, I'm in short supply of both. But, I have no 'fast' timetable, overall. But I would like to have at least a roads by winter. I am going to be balancing the need of fencing with roads, both of what I hope to put in myself. I am hiring a 'designer' to help insure the roads are appropriate and in their best place for my proposed layout of the land, so hopefully, the road LINES will be the best they can be. But when it comes down to the moving of the dirt... while I think I can do it... I've never done it before.

What say you all?

Attachments

• Topo plat.JPG
    Topo plat.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 157
  • GEP map with roads.JPG
    GEP map with roads.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 149
   / 80ac rowcropped land... building a KY horse farm... 2nd on list... ROADS #2  
I think you will be overwhelmed shortly into the dirt moving aspect of this project . A scraper is nice but where are you putting the dirt ? You need a short cycle time to get any dirt moved . You will need to cut drainage , culverts , ditches .Most of you people say I have plenty of time and no money . I do not understand . You will be very hard on that tractor trying to do this . Not to be negative , admire your enthusiasm !

/ 80ac rowcropped land... building a KY horse farm... 2nd on list... ROADS
I have no hard feelings and appreciate your candor. I don't need smoke, I need sunshine. It turns out to be about a mile of road, when all is said and done. I recognize its a lot. It doesn't have any huge cuts, but I can certainly see that my 'brain' might be bigger than my 'tractor'.

I want to do what's best for my place. I'd like to do what I can, but that might mean more time in the office, paying for the "cat and backhoe man".

/ 80ac rowcropped land... building a KY horse farm... 2nd on list... ROADS #4  
I'm with Kevin on this one. If you were retired I'd say go for it. Might want to have a back up plan just in case.:)
Good luck and post some pictures along the way please.