790 Sporadic Starting

/ 790 Sporadic Starting
Gurgling sound?? I believe there have been some problems with the solenoid leaking??

Egon, Glad you mentioned that, leaking you say, is that fuel seeping up and around the shaft/plunger (I'm guessing) then perhaps causes the Solenoid to fail. When I pushed the plunger up 3/4 into the housing & before it hit the limit that's when I heard the gurgling. Perhaps another indication that the Stop Solenoid has failed, we'll see .......

Along that line of thought, I was wondering if I do put the tractor in the start position (after disconnecting the starter TBD??) the fuel pump will no-doubt energize and I suspect fuel will be spraying out of the hole :umbrella-guy: where the Solenoid's Plunger would normally sit in the stop position. Question, how much, perhaps I should place a couple of Scott's Shop Rages in that area + Dawn Protective Raingear..............

/ 790 Sporadic Starting #43  
No fuel should spray out of the hole, only oil splash if running, and then only a little...

I say just hit the key, only jog the engine, it should pull in. If you don't want to take that risk, turn the key to run and manually push the plunger in, it should stay in until late you switch the key to off. I'll check the starter trigger wire when I go to the barn shortly.

/ 790 Sporadic Starting #44  
Didn't get to look at my starter this evening, was distracted by the feeding chores and talking to the wife... however, I looked at the wiring diagram you posted back a few pages, and on your starter, there should be a big red wire from the battery, and a smaller white wire going to the solinoid on the starter... the white one is the one you want to disconnect to disable the starter.

Good luck...

/ 790 Sporadic Starting
THANK YOU ALL FOR POSTING TO THIS THREAD, PLEASE GO TO THREAD "Help Interpreting Wiring Diagram & Using Multimeter" UNDER JOHN DEERE OWNING & OPERATING. I WILL NO LONGER BE MONITORING THESE POSTS. THANKS :thumbsup:

/ 790 Sporadic Starting #46  
On the leaking I believe it would be engine oil from the fuel pump. The solenoid does not see any fuel. It activates the injector pump. (On my JD 4200)

Video of JD 4300 solenoid. Wish mine was that easy to access.

Last edited:
   / 790 Sporadic Starting #47  
Egon
Thanks for posting that video.. very informative.

/ 790 Sporadic Starting #48  
Thank you beenthere.

There is one video out there showing just how the solenoid works the injector pump engagement but I can't find it now.

/ 790 Sporadic Starting #49