72D Auto Connect MMM - Spacers and R4s?

/ 72D Auto Connect MMM - Spacers and R4s? #1  

Nuru

Elite Member
Hello all, I am considering purchasing a used 72D Auto-Connect Mower deck. I am currently running R3 Turf Specials, but I think that if I purchase a 72D Auto-Connect Mower deck, the right rear castor wheel will be in the way of my right rear tire. I have seen that other forum members have these decks on the 3x2x units, but I believe it is with R4 tires and even they are cutting it close on clearance with the 72D Auto-Connect MMM. Does anyone have pics of their 72D Auto-Connect MMM and the tire clearance? Are any of you running spacers for more stability with the R4s?

/ 72D Auto Connect MMM - Spacers and R4s? #2  
You need to contact BlackRaptor if you want a 72" AC. He has one for sale - 6 hours - see thread in buying / pricing.

/ 72D Auto Connect MMM - Spacers and R4s? #3  
If I remember right , the John Deere "build it" site says the 72D is not compatible with R3 tires. Im guessing due to tire clearance.

/ 72D Auto Connect MMM - Spacers and R4s?
If I remember right , the John Deere "build it" site says the 72D is not compatible with R3 tires. Im guessing due to tire clearance.
I think it actually says R3 Turf Specials, not R3s in general?

You need to contact BlackRaptor if you want a 72" AC. He has one for sale - 6 hours - see thread in buying / pricing.

I will contact BlackRaptor to see which type is the one for sale (Older or newer) . I have heard that the newer ones have additional room for tires on the right rear.

/ 72D Auto Connect MMM - Spacers and R4s? #6  
Hello all, I am considering purchasing a used 72D Auto-Connect Mower deck. I am currently running R3 Turf Specials, but I think that if I purchase a 72D Auto-Connect Mower deck, the right rear castor wheel will be in the way of my right rear tire.I have seen that other forum members have these decks on the 3x2x units, but I believe it is with R4 tires and even they are cutting it close on clearance with the 72D Auto-Connect MMM. Does anyone have pics of their 72D Auto-Connect MMM and the tire clearance? Are any of you running spacers for more stability with the R4s?

Nuru,

Here are a couple of shots with R3s. I'll note that these (rears) are mounted in the widest position. Plenty of room. First two photos are of the right side and it's the closest to the tire of the two sides.

101_0031.JPG101_0032.JPG101_0034.JPG101_0022.JPG101_0028.JPG

Nuru,

Here are a couple of shots with R3s. I'll note that these (rears) are mounted in the widest position. Plenty of room. First two photos are of the right side and it's the closest to the tire of the two sides.

View attachment 322266View attachment 322267View attachment 322268View attachment 322269View attachment 322270

Thanks for the pics!

OH ok, you have the regular R3s vs the R3 Turf Specials like mine. My tires are quite a bit larger than your R3s. I think that right rear anti-scalping wheels may be an interference issue for my tires.

/ 72D Auto Connect MMM - Spacers and R4s? #8  
Thanks for the pics!

OH ok, you have the regular R3s vs the R3 Turf Specials like mine. My tires are quite a bit larger than your R3s. I think that right rear anti-scalping wheels may be an interference issue for my tires.

seriously, you should have just got the regular turf tires. I think you may have listened to too much hype of people feeling tippy in there 3x20 machines because they aren't used to sitting high. I run my machine on slopes frequently and I don't even have my tires filled with fluid. Unless of course you bought those golf course tires for some other reason

seriously, you should have just got the regular turf tires. I think you may have listened to too much hype of people feeling tippy in there 3x20 machines because they aren't used to sitting high. I run my machine on slopes frequently and I don't even have my tires filled with fluid. Unless of course you bought those golf course tires for some other reason

Actually, No I did not listen to the hype of others. I have slopes and the tractor feels very unstable on the slopes with my R4s with fluid and no hub spacers. I had a 4310 OS prior to that, and with regular R3s it was scary on some of slopes. But when I got the Turf Specials, that unstable feeling went away. I kept the tires when I traded up to a 3520 CAB, which is definitely more top heavy than the lower Cg'ed 4310. Before that I had a 4100, and with its R3s, it was fine, as its Cg is even lower than the other 2 models. The 3520 is taller than the 4310 and the Cg is also higher on the 3x2x series. And no it is not hype, even the dealers admitted back when I bought mine that the 3x2x series seems to be "very tippy" (i.e. the higher Cg makes you more wary of the potential for tipping.) I even had a few near misses on my property when I was running the small R4s on the unit. I also have operated the 4520 Cab and it was fine, as the tractor has a wider stance than the 3x2x series, and even though it is taller and you ride higher up, it feels much more stable due to its wider stance.

If you are going straight up and down a slope, the unit has no issue, however if you are going across a slope, even what you may consider a mild slope without the widened stance (64" plus), the unit sometimes feels like it might go over on its side.

Oh and finally, the nearly new turf Specials and the rims were acquired for a great price used, and do not tear up my grass when I make sharp turns.

So I think it is a win (more stable and forgiving on mowing across mild/medium slopes), win (does not tear up my grass) for me.

/ 72D Auto Connect MMM - Spacers and R4s? #10  
sounds good. careful with that new machine and good luck with it. spacers prolly work. Consider welding the castor wheels out of the way just good enough for clearance if need be. that's what I would do if I had to make it work

Last edited: