72" 914mmm/uncut rows

/ 72" 914mmm/uncut rows #1  

thcri

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D, 2001
72\" 914mmm/uncut rows

I have a 72" 914MMM. The first year no trouble. This year I put three new blades on it, greased it all up and was set to go for the year. After three mowings it started to leave two uncut paths about 2" each that it would not mow. These streaks or paths are right in the area where the blades meet. I inspected the blades and other than one good ding they looked great. I did just replace them like three weeks prior so I did expect them to be in good shape. I cleaned the bottom of the deck with a pressure washer and put another set of blades on it that I just had sharpened. I have two sets, one on the mower and one in getting sharpened. But even after all the cleaning and putting sharpened blades on it I still get the streaks. I love seat time but I sure hate going back over where I mowed just to hit the streaks.

I sure hope someone can help me here.

murph

/ 72" 914mmm/uncut rows #2  
Re: 72\" 914mmm/uncut rows

Playing Sherlock Holmes here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but perhaps you answered your own question with these words, murph. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif <font color="blue"> The first year no trouble. This year I put three new blades on it </font> What changed between the time it cut fine and now? Only two things have occurred;

1. mmm was taken off and reinstalled
2. Old blades were taken off and new ones installed.

One of these 2 actions caused the problem is my guess.

Did you check Page 35 in the 914a Owner's Manual?

Streaking or Windrow Conditions in Swath
Blades dull
Blades upside down
Conditions too wet for cutting
Deck lower at the rear than front
Excessive grass build-up under the mower deck

/ 72" 914mmm/uncut rows #3  

The new blades were the same size as the original blades, right? Not an inch shorter than before?
Mark

/ 72" 914mmm/uncut rows #4  

Some good points have already been mentioned. But, here are mine.
I get streaks if the grass is too long for my ground speed. Solution: slow down or cut more often.
I am really curious about the previous post inquiring about the blade size. Maybe they gave you blades for a 60 in mower??

/ 72" 914mmm/uncut rows

MikePa,

Actually no. If you read my first line I put three new blades on the mower,(my original ones were dull) and I mowed for about three times and everything was fine. It just started streaking all of a sudden with no changes. It was then that I took the mower off and put on my original blades that had been sharpened. So there was no takin off of blades or removal of mower when the problem originally started.

As far as the instructions in the manual. I pretty much have checked them all out.

Sharp blades,
pressured washed the deck,
back wheels the same as the front,
It's dryer than a buffalo fart here,

To answer the other suggestions, the blades are the exact same size. When I took them off originally I took one at a time to make sure that I did put them on correct and the length was the exact length.

Mrwurm you may have the best answer, I am mowing high because of our drought season. I also tend to mow high because of scalping. I am mowing at the 3.0" mark right now. I will try an go back to 2.5" and see if that helps. I will also try slowing down, thank god there was no police around or I might have gotten a ticket /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

murph

/ 72" 914mmm/uncut rows #6  

<font color="blue">Mrwurm you may have the best answer, I am mowing high because of our drought season. I also tend to mow high because of scalping. I am mowing at the 3.0" mark right now. I will try an go back to 2.5" and see if that helps. I will also try slowing down, thank god there was no police around or I might have gotten a ticket </font>

I wouldn't consider 3" as mowing "high" - it's just about right for springtime & cool season grasses. I wouldn't go down to 2.5" especially if you are having a drought. I mow at 3.5 to 4" if we aren't getting rain - grass stays green & happy with no watering.

Speaking of the drought - How stressed is your grass? If you walk on it, does it spring back up or do your "foot prints" stay planted for a long time? When grass dries out it looses its "spring".

How fast were you going? On my TC18, low range is too slow, but top speed in high range is too fast. On flat ground I'm somewhere in between - probably ~4mph.

Happy cutting

/ 72" 914mmm/uncut rows #7  

<font color="blue"> After three mowings it started to leave two uncut paths about 2" each that it would not mow. </font>
You're right, I missed this piece of information. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

<font color="blue"> I am mowing at the 3.0" mark right now. I will try an go back to 2.5" </font>
Aha! New information. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hope going back to 2.5" solves the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 72" 914mmm/uncut rows #8  

I've got the 84" MMM and it has some really dull blades and still cuts fine (no strips) and I run low-rabbit (6 mph).
My mower has been in shop now 2 weeks getting oil cooler and a few other things taken care of.
Needless to say my grass is 10"+ so this next mowing will be fun.
BTW is the 72" side or rear discharge?

/ 72" 914mmm/uncut rows #9  

I get uncut rows of grass if there is alot of buildup inside the mower deck. After I clean it out good the streeks go away.

I think the problem is that the buildup causes poor air flow and the grass lays over under the mower and the blades aren't clipping it all off.

Tinner

/ 72" 914mmm/uncut rows #10  

I, like hazmat, mow at a higher setting, about 3 1/2". If I mow any lower there's not enough grass for the clippings to settle down into, so they have to be swept up, which I prefer to avoid since that means I have to go over it again with my Craftsman lawn tractor and 42" lawn sweeper (couldn't find a 6' lawn sweeper). Now that the spring season is over, the grass isn't so thick, so I might move it down to 3". The clay soil will retain the moisture unless we have a real bad drought, so I don't have to worry about killing the grass. It's so humid here that lack of moisture is not a problem. Mowing lower will let the suction of the blades be more effective, so that may help your problem.