7060 hdc kubota hydraulic shuttle operation...again

/ 7060 hdc kubota hydraulic shuttle operation...again #1  

gwtx

Tractor
Hesston(fiat) 466DT/ Kubota7060/Ford 3400/KomatsuD20 Modern AG 15' batwing
I have had this tractor(bought new) since 2016, and a lot of my use is mowing/shredding pastures.
I pull a 15' modern ag shredder. It weighs 5600 lbs, with a tongue weight of 1800 lbs.
I know,,,the 7060 is borderline for this cutter, but the ground is so rough I have to go slow anyhow, and seldom bog the tractor if I'm paying attention. I am normally running the tractor at 2000 to 2150 rpm, in 4th gear, low range . I have some areas where I need to go forward and back a few times. I put shuttle lever in neutral(the tractor stops immediately), shift to 2nd or 3rd gear, put shuttle lever to Reverse, and back up...Put shuttle lever to neutral, shift to 4 low, put shuttle lever to forward and the tractor "lunges" harder than is healthy for the tractor or cutter. So, since the "pedal" and the "lever" serve the same function, I have found that using the pedal to "modulate" the application of pressure to the clutch packs results is a much smoother "launch" back to forward mowing speed. I don't "ride" the pedal, I just let it engage the clutch packs a bit more gradually than the lever which "dumps" the pressure all at once..This seems to be the easiest on the equipment AND ME :)
I came from old mechanical dry clutch tractors where it was said "get your foot off the pedal".
I'm just looking for experienced ideas/advice about the operation.
I have spent hours reading/learning about the operation of the hyd shuttle "lever vs. pedal", and the "damper clutch vs. wet clutch packs", but want to make sure of the best operating procedure for the job I am doing with this equipment. At 77 yrs old on SocialSecurity, I can't afford a "clutch" job. I've not found much info on this same type of operation, and I don't like the tractor almost doing a "wheely" when I start to go forward, so this is the way I do it. Whatch yall Think?
Thanks

/ 7060 hdc kubota hydraulic shuttle operation...again #2  
I think your confused when you stated "damper clutch vs. wet clutch packs". A Kubota M7060 with hyd shuttle has both damper & hyd(wet) clutch packs so there's "no versus involved". IMHO one should lower engine rpm's before shifting hyd shuttle from fwd to rev & vice-versa. The higher engine & ground speed PLUS WEIGHT OF tractor & batwing exerts tremendous strain on the damper hub & springs. I think you continue your shuttle shifting practice & the hub & springs in damper clutch will prematurely fail.

My M7040 with similar hyd shuttle has over 1750 hrs & has been used to handle many 100's of rd bales &"knock on wood" the hyd reverser shifts fine at lower engine rpm's. My M7040 operators manual clearly states to shift hyd reverser while tractor is moving slower.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-10 133917.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-10 133917.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 64
   / 7060 hdc kubota hydraulic shuttle operation...again
Thanks for the reply. No, I'm not confused, I just miss stated that part. I meant I fully understand the difference between the two.
I understand that the way I WAS doing would result in premature damage/wear. That's why I use the pedal to engage and dis engage the drive line. The pedal and the lever both do the same thing, but with the pedal I can "ease" the engagement instead of "dumping" the clutch with the lever, and do so without "slipping" the clutch packs too much. There is an adjustment to control the rate of change of pressure to the packs(when using the lever), and maybe it is set a bit too high. The pedal lets you control how fast the packs engage. At lease that's what the experts tell me. I don't have the WSM to check that out yet.
The clutch packs engage quick, almost like "side stepping " the pedal in a car or truck, even at lower rpm, like 1200 to 1500.
What got this all started was a mechanic told me not to use the clutch pedal,,," it will wear out the clutch".
I've been using the clutch on my old tractor for over 30 years doing the same work, and it's still functioning fine.

I probably still misstated something, or forgot :)

/ 7060 hdc kubota hydraulic shuttle operation...again #4  
Gwtx I have the same tractor and do the same thing you do. At the rpms that are needed for cutter it is just too fast and rough to use the lever. I would ask the mechanic to explain why he recommended what he did. I have never seen a tractor damaged by being gentle with it. W. Jones

Thanks WJ. Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure he was familiar with the system. I see much confusion on the forums about clutchless,
wet clutch, dry clutch, damper clutch, reverser, mechanical shuttle, hydraulic shuttle etc. Even some the mechanics can get confused.
Thanks again, Gary

/ 7060 hdc kubota hydraulic shuttle operation...again #6  
Gary
For the record I'm not confused & I'm the same age as you are. I've owned a Kubota M7040 since 2011 with similar hyd reverser as your M7060.

I've operated tractors & farm equipment for over 65 yrs. I was employed by a JD dealer for 21 yrs & served as the hands on type dealer service manager for 13 of those yrs. I've been custom farming/baling since 1987 repairing my own equipment. My rd baling tractor which is a JD 4255 purchased in '93 has 11594 hrs on it.

I think if you """keep on shifting your M7060 while it's pulling a 15 ft batwing weighing 5600#s in 4th gear any rpm's above near engine idle rpm's"" then a damper clutch replacement or hyd reverser clutches replacement is in your tractors near future. If that doesn't happen you'll be a very lucky man!
Jim

/ 7060 hdc kubota hydraulic shuttle operation...again #7  
I don't see any unusual behavior of either you or the tractor.
I experience the same on JD 6430. As higher the Rpms, as rougher the shuttle.
I grew up on standard transmission vehicles. I use the clutch pedal all the time when changing directions or getting going.

Thanks for your reply. Not being familiar with "hydraulic" shuttles, or "reversers", I thought that's what they were for. The advertisements show ops like unloading round bales, pulling balers and such, with out changing engine rpm's. I found out different :)

Well, I am changing my mowing patterns so that I do the very minimum of reversing . I also lower the rpm to "above near engine idle" before engaging the clutch packs using the clutch pedal. I don't slip it much, just enough to take the "dump the clutch" jerk out of it. Just like I always have any other manual mechanical clutch. If they made a "hydro" with enough horsepower, that I could afford, that would seem to me to be the way to go with a "utility" tractor. I appreciate all the input the guys on this forum are willing to share.

/ 7060 hdc kubota hydraulic shuttle operation...again #9  
Does the tractor have a overriding pto clutch so you don’t pto brake or lose the shredder momentum idling down to shift forward and reverse?

/ 7060 hdc kubota hydraulic shuttle operation...again #10  
Kubota hydraulic shuttles all have a proportioning sensing vale that senses impending load and modulates the speed and lockup pressure of the wet travelling pack in the case. That is what you feel and like Jim states, I'd reduce the engine rpm appreciably with reversing with the shuttle lever to mitigate the shock load on the damper plate in the bellhousing when pulling the heavy shredder. If you have the WSM, it calls out how to adjust both the lockup pressure as well as the lockup time but you'll need some special tools to accomplish that. I've never adjusted mine in 6500 meter hours.