7.3l PSD oil filter vs the 6.0 PSD oil filter

/ 7.3l PSD oil filter vs the 6.0 PSD oil filter #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
did a service on the 350 this am before work.

the 7.3 takes a napa 1734 'metal can style' spin on filter. big thing.. looks like it could be a 2qt capacity type filter. situated vertical next to the left side of the oil pan..e tc. the 6.0psd filter is a semi cartridge style.. plastic top and protruding element. screws down on top of the engine in the V section kinda near the fuel filter.. which is kinda similar on the 6.0.. etc.

I gotta say.. I like the larger hanging metal filter on the 7.3 yeah. you gotta be under it to pull it.. but then you gotta pull the drain plug so no biggie.

looks like room for plenty more media in that large hanger.

no.. for the fuel filter.. hmm.. I think I like the 6.0 better. i changed the filter onthe 7.3 a month or so ago and that ^%^# triangluar oring and plastic cap is a PITA to get right.... oh well.. engine won't rust now. :)

which you like..t he smaller smmi plastic canister filter up top or the larger metal hander down south?

/ 7.3l PSD oil filter vs the 6.0 PSD oil filter #2  
I like the cartridge type filters better like my F350 & BMW have. Easy to visually inspect without cutting it open. Its also less mess in the landfills so I think you will see all go back to that technology like our old Ford and International Tractors.

Chris

/ 7.3l PSD oil filter vs the 6.0 PSD oil filter
seems like a ton less media though..... at least in that 2 unit comparison.

as for cartridge filters in general.. yeah.. I don't mind them at all.. if the are situated so as not to make a mess like some do.. :)

/ 7.3l PSD oil filter vs the 6.0 PSD oil filter #4  
There are several threads on here that continue to debate oil filter size and quality. Having changed oil and oil filters on my cars, trucks and tractors for 40 years now I have to say that it hasn't been until fairly recently that I've seen a new trend. That being smaller oil filters and longer mileage between oil changes. I like the cartridge idea, as long as you stated, it doesn't make a mess. I have to think newer engines operate cleaner and seem to require less maintenance over longer miles.Motor oils are made better and hold up longer. Maybe this just means less filtration is required? I do like the fact that 3 of my newer vehicles now suggest oil changes every 10,000 miles. :)

/ 7.3l PSD oil filter vs the 6.0 PSD oil filter #5  
We have a Chevy HHR that has the cartridge style on top. It seems that the filter media isn't supported very well and the pleats crumple after a few thousand miles. They never break or anything like that. I am torn on which style I like better. You would think that the cartridge style filters would cost less than the canister style but it doesn't seem to be the case in my area.

/ 7.3l PSD oil filter vs the 6.0 PSD oil filter #6  
did a service on the 350 this am before work.

the 7.3 takes a napa 1734 'metal can style' spin on filter. big thing.. looks like it could be a 2qt capacity type filter. situated vertical next to the left side of the oil pan..e tc.

I gotta say.. I like the larger hanging metal filter on the 7.3 yeah. you gotta be under it to pull it.. but then you gotta pull the drain plug so no biggie.

looks like room for plenty more media in that large hanger.

no.. for the fuel filter.. hmm.. I think I like the 6.0 better. i changed the filter onthe 7.3 a month or so ago and that ^%^# triangluar oring and plastic cap is a PITA to get right.... oh well.. engine won't rust now.

Just changed the oil/filter and the fuel filter on my '97 F Super Duty. I always fill the filter with oil before I screw it back on. I'd say you're on the mark for the thing holding about 2 quarts. As far as the oil plug, I just replaced it with a Qwik Valve. Now I can just flip a small lever and let 'er go. No more dropping an oil plug into the drain bucket or getting a hand covered in oil. Search results :: Qwik Valve Of course you still get a little oily removing the filter. :laughing: But the old HF nitrile gloves help with that. Even though the oil & filters only had just over 3k on them, the truck sits from late November to late March or early April so I just change everything at the beginning of seamless gutter season and I don't have to do it mid year when business is coming in.
I was lucky with the NAPA fuel filter. At first it acted like it didn't want to thread properly. I must have started to cross it. I spun it backward, it seated correctly and I was all set. I agree that their O ring sucks. A little awkward trying to hold the O ring up into the cap at the same time you're trying to thread the filter in. Fortunately no leaks once I got the filter threaded correctly.

/ 7.3l PSD oil filter vs the 6.0 PSD oil filter #7  
I like the Napa Gold filter for the 7.3. Does an excellent job and here is an oil analysis to prove it.

OilSample.jpg

As for the fuel filters, I believe the 6.0 does have a better filtration system at around 4 microns as compared to 14 microns on the 7.3s. Of course a filter system can be added and get down around 2 microns.

This is my remote fuel filter tucked up in the fender of the bed. It filters to 2 microns.

IMG_3947_zps7d25560c.jpg

/ 7.3l PSD oil filter vs the 6.0 PSD oil filter
nice!