$7.00 gallon diesel??

/ $7.00 gallon diesel?? #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Read an article in the ATA Journal today that trucking industry executives are predicting $7.00 per gallon diesel by 2010.

Extrapolated, that means that it will cost me $7,000.00 to fill my bulk tank with on road. Here in Michigan, off road is around $0.50 less per gallon but at $6.50 I believe I'll quit farming altogether and find a job that I can ride my bicycle too.

Can we afford it, I, for one can't.

/ $7.00 gallon diesel?? #2  
At that price I'll have to sell my B3030, quit mowing grass and buy a good bike.

/ $7.00 gallon diesel?? #3  
Gasoline was supposed to go to $5 a gallon soon after Katrina. I never saw it. Prophets of doom are many, but nobody seems to look back and keep score of how accurate they are. They usually aren't because we are still here.

Bob Rip

/ $7.00 gallon diesel?? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Read an article in the ATA Journal today that trucking industry executives are predicting $7.00 per gallon diesel by 2010.

Extrapolated, that means that it will cost me $7,000.00 to fill my bulk tank with on road. Here in Michigan, off road is around $0.50 less per gallon but at $6.50 I believe I'll quit farming altogether and find a job that I can ride my bicycle too.

Can we afford it, I, for one can't. )</font>

No one could...thats why it wont happen!

/ $7.00 gallon diesel?? #5  
<font color="blue"> I believe I'll quit farming altogether and find a job that I can ride my bicycle too. </font>

Flip,

You mean that two wheeler with pedals that has the side car? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I guess a guy that drives those big tractors like you do might think that IS a bicycle... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

By the way, the other day the boss was wondering how Flip and Amy were doing...I'll tell her you are doing well and thinking of getting into bicycling... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ $7.00 gallon diesel?? #6  
Exactly...it would tear the economy apart...it also seems to ignore new technologies which could supply fuel for less (biodiesel).

/ $7.00 gallon diesel?? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Exactly...it would tear the economy apart...it also seems to ignore new technologies which could supply fuel for less (biodiesel). )</font>
$7 a gallon diesel..or even better yet..$7 a gallon gasoline...would wipe out the economy totally. NO ONE is going to pay $15 a box for breakfast cereal..let alone the cost off meat in the grocery store. "Our" economy goes in the tank...and about 1/3 of the worlds economy goes right in behind it. ALL of the "3rd world" countrys that we pass money too like feeding chickens are "out of bucks" also.

As Morgan Freeman said in the movie..."Life as we know it on this planet....will cease to exist"!

Expect Yellowstone to blow up ( mega volcano) or to be hit by a meteor before you see diesel at $7 a gallon.

/ $7.00 gallon diesel?? #8  
currently the price in the uk for a US gallon of diesel is $6.27 Now 75% of that is made up of tax but life goes on

/ $7.00 gallon diesel??
deerman64:

I'm glad ypou posted as people in this country think it can't happen, but it can and most likely will. Petroleum in this country is indeed, a fragile and explosive commodity that is driven by demand and priced by demand which, holds true for the UK too.

For the most part, folks in this country haven't the faintest idea that the American farmer, if not subsidized by the Federal Government would not exist and profit margins while already extremely thin (with the subsidies) can't take a big petroleum related hit (again).

Most posters here only think of diesel fuel but petroleum for a farmer takes many forms from the LPG to dry the grain to fertilizer to the poly twine to tie hay bales and more and any increase in peroleum prices directly effect a large number of products used by farmers everyday not just including diesel.

You have the EPA constantly tightening emission and particulate standards forcing engine manufacturers to build more enviromentally friendly powerplants (but less efficient) and changing fuel formulation to reduce/remove sulfur (a lubricant and Cetane improver. With the January 2007 being the date for the new ULSD fuel, engine manufacturers are having to step up and improve their engines and injection systems to cope with the lack of lubrication that comes with the removal of sulfur from diesel fuel.

That, coupled with the unrest in the Middle East and the continuing crisis in Iran can and probably will cause diesel fuel prices to escalate and maybe attain $7.00 per gallon by 2010.

Folks here would really like to ignore the facts, but just go to the grocery store and compare what you can buy today for $100.00 compared to 5 years ago and then decide.

It's a proven fact that the United States has the petroleum reserves right here on ourn mainland or just offshore to provide all the needs of this country for the forseeable future but our government needs a game plan and soon if we are going to continue to lead the lives we are accostomed to.

Enough rant. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ $7.00 gallon diesel?? #10  
That brings up another interesting question...how much of that predicted $7/gal will be taxes? Ive never known the govt to pass on raising them.