Loader '69 JD450 turns L & R in reverse, but only Left in forward

/ '69 JD450 turns L & R in reverse, but only Left in forward #1  

belsheen

Tractor
Case 310g, AC D17 SII
Evening all, I'm looking to buy a 450 crawler loader, but am concerned at what might end up being a big job. The machine goes left forward but not right. It will go left & right in reverse. It's a very clean '69, with decent UC, for around $6700. Anyone have any ideas about this. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

/ '69 JD450 turns L & R in reverse, but only Left in forward #2  
belsheen, Welcome to the forum.

Going back a few years IIRC you might need to adjust the brake bands this adjustment was under the seat I think. Is this a 450A with armstrong steering and dry clutches with the long brake bands? I think the 450B had power steering and maybe wet clutches not sure. I do know that I had to adjust the steering linkage to insure that both sticks had the proper freeplay and it was important to keep the dry clutches from getting wet.

I had a 450A, sold it about thirty years ago but I remember it as requiring more maintenance per hour of operation than any other piece of equipment I have had to date. Not knocking older equipment but some of these older power train designs had alot of wearing parts that require almost constant adjustment, The newer yet still used later models are a better deal with a higher dependability rating imo.

I would assume the 455 was the loader version, I had the 450A dozer with the 8' manual angle blade. Sold the 450 and bought a new 850 with counter rotating tracks and had much better service but the payments almost killed me. Being much older now I hire out dozer work when needed and let the young guys fight the track equipment.