'64 gavely L8 PTO wont disengage

/ '64 gavely L8 PTO wont disengage #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I have an L8 that I used to remove the snow from my driveway last winter. I finally got the rotary mower on and needed to do some brush mowing but I can't disengage the PTO drive. When it was working I had to hit the PTO lever to get it to disengage it wouldn't move easily. Any thoughts on what to do short of tearing it all apart? I can't even get the engine turning fast enough to get started now.

/ '64 gavely L8 PTO wont disengage #2  
There's a certain way that the attachments are supposed to be put on. Not entirely sure, but I think the PTO is supposed to be engaged when you bolt up the attachment. It could be that the clutch assembly is binding because the way the attachment was put on. If that's all it is, then you can unbolt the attachment and start again.

Second easy fix might be to lubricate the assembly on the top of the PTO housing to be sure it isn't sticking.

If it get more complicated than 1 or 2, input from someone else with better ideas is needed.

/ '64 gavely L8 PTO wont disengage #3  
Clean and check the shipper shaft for being bent. Otherwise, clean and lube the spring and detent bal plus adjust the bolts for just a little play. Too tight and it will cause the shipper shaft to bind.