60 MPH high wind smashed so many live oak trees in central California

/ 60 MPH high wind smashed so many live oak trees in central California #1  

jkk04

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 410 backhoe, MF 30 industrial tractor, IH TD-14 dozer, New Holland TZ24DA
January 7, 2023, it was high wind, more than 60 MPH that caused so many beautiful live oak trees to fall down during the night in central California.
Sooo Shame...

Of course, I can cut the trees and split them with a log splitter for firewood but it is too much for next year..
I might sell some odd firewood to the neighbors.
As you know, the live oak tree's firewood is best...
Jkim

/ 60 MPH high wind smashed so many live oak trees in central California #2  
You guys really got hammered out there, and it looks like there's more coming tomorrow.

/ 60 MPH high wind smashed so many live oak trees in central California #3  
Are you also receiving the heavy rains in your area? Have seen reports on heavy rains but did not pay close attention as to what parts of the state were affected.

/ 60 MPH high wind smashed so many live oak trees in central California
Are you also receiving the heavy rains in your area? Have seen reports on heavy rains but did not pay close attention as to what parts of the state were affected.
Fortunately, there was not much rain last night but I am very concerned about power outages.
We already had 2 days in a row without power in 5 days due to the high wind.
The generator ready is necessary in central California. 😥😥

Jkk

/ 60 MPH high wind smashed so many live oak trees in central California #5  
Wait I thought they are outlawing small internal combustion engines.... ;)

/ 60 MPH high wind smashed so many live oak trees in central California #6  
@jkk04 So sorry about your beautiful oaks!

I spent the day clearing drains and generally getting ready for tonight's storm. After three years of not much rain, it is a little hard to figure where the weak points are now. We have springs popping up all over as the soil is saturated, which doesn't bode well for the trees here. So I worry about something similar happening here, too.

Time will tell.

Batteries are charged and the generators are on standby.

All the best,

Peter

/ 60 MPH high wind smashed so many live oak trees in central California #7  
We're supposed to see 80 mph gusts tonight and another 5 inches of rain. Power's been out since Wednesday. PG&E says they're working on it (again). Maybe they'll fix it before the next storm hits later tonight.

/ 60 MPH high wind smashed so many live oak trees in central California #8  
What a shame ! No damage to your house though ?

/ 60 MPH high wind smashed so many live oak trees in central California #9  
Sorry to hear of all those downed oak trees. 60MPH. Wow.

No big problems here, yet, but the next 24-48 hours are gonna be interesting. My creek is roaring, and one swale is at a volume not seen since FEB, 2017, our year of mudslides.

BTW, I gave away more than 12 pickup truck loads of cut and seasoned, but not split, firewood in the past year. I only burn 2.5 cords in a season, and some types (tan oak and bay laurel) get eaten up by beetle larvae if I don't burn them in 2 years.

/ 60 MPH high wind smashed so many live oak trees in central California #10  
January 7, 2023, it was high wind, more than 60 MPH that caused so many beautiful live oak trees to fall down during the night in central California.
Sooo Shame...

Of course, I can cut the trees and split them with a log splitter for firewood but it is too much for next year..
I might sell some odd firewood to the neighbors.
As you know, the live oak tree's firewood is best...
Jkim

We get high straightline winds out of at least one storm every summer. Falling trees are, for the most part, why I keep having giant slash burns every year. I'm still trying to catch up to all the windfalls from 2019, the year my mother died.

IMG_3708.JPG