Mowing 60" mower power question

/ 60" mower power question #1  

trailertrash

Bronze Member
Tractor
1961 ford 971
60\" mower power question

Well it seems that this forum is a dangerous place to prowl. I looked at the PT web page when I was looking at cuts but never really considered one ,then I started reading the post's in here,the more I read the more interested I became, to the point where I called pT and am going down for a fitting.Btw I spoke with Scott and told him about this forum and he said he would check it out.My supreme commander was very impressed with the q attach, said my language when hooking up 3pt attachments was killing the grass.my question for today is boss wants 60" mower for speed but I have seen post's where there was mention of power shortages on pulls (hills, wet,tall grass)curious if the engine lacks oomph or is it the hyd, pump pressure to the wheels and or implements

/ 60" mower power question #2  
Re: 60\" mower power question

Tall grass taken down to a turf type length is best mowed with a Kohler 25 hp in more than one passage. I know that some of the farmstock users in this forum do not agree with this. the Kohler engine is used almost in any commercial ZTR mower today.

Rather than repeating all we wrote about this subject i suggest you do a Search. Just to give you an example both Charlie and myself have mowed slopes and hillside with not only our 400 and 1800 series machines but with my two Kunz acrease wing mowers each weighing some 300 pounds without any problems.

it is very important to lay out a plan of how you are going to mow slopes and hillside and not attack the hills like a young armored car or tank driver turned loose the first time they are alone with their machines.

if you have read all the posts and have specific questions i would be more than happy to answer. But the savvy group of pt owners have presented almost anything possible under the sun of how they got themselfs in trouble and how they got out of it.

when i joined this forum i was close to a week (in the evening) before i had finished reading all the things posted about power trac, attachments and customization.

Good luck

/ 60" mower power question #3  
Re: 60

Trailertrash:

Like yourself I just statred looking around in this section of TBN, and I have to say I am impressed at what I see and read.

If you happen to read this MossRoad I spent a hour or so just reading and enjoying what you had to say about this strange looking tractor and your little video's my god...that beats what I have to go through to change implements /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I like and agree with what MossRoad had to say about diesal, don't get me wrong I love diesal engines but the rebuild aspect on one of these Power Trac's with gas power is a hard one to turn your back on very simple pull and take to local small engine shop for rebuild compaired to a diesal engine thats sweeeet!

I just read someone talking about a new lifting hight for the 400 series, he said he had seen it listed on the Power Trac site, I can't seem to locate what he was looking at on the site does anyone have the info on what the new lifting hight will be. That is about the only problem that I can find with this little jem is I can't load a pickUP truck bed or a dump trailer

Whiskey

/ 60" mower power question #4  

Whiskey,
PowerTrac is working with the 400 series tractors to increase the FEL lift from 52 inches to I think around 60 inches. This would be a great help for loading pickups and high side trailers.
PJ

/ 60" mower power question #5  

Thanks!

Did I mention that I really like this machine?

/ 60" mower power question #6  

MossRoad:

well...ummmm....ahhhh....yes I think you did say something about likening it...../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 60" mower power question

" Tall grass taken down to a turf type length is best mowed with a Kohler 25 hp in more than one passage. I know that some of the farmstock users in this forum do not agree with this. the Kohler engine is used almost in any commercial ZTR mower today "

So I guess it's safe to assume that it is the engine itself that limits the power. I was just trying to figure if the relief or bypass valves were set too light for safety or longivety reasons btw, thanks to all for your help I'm sure I"ll need more