6 foot lawnmower needed

/ 6 foot lawnmower needed #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
nothing less than a 72 will do if I have to mow about six acres of lawn on a new home I am looking at in Washington NC.
flat, flat, flat, and no rocks. I've done hills and rocks all my life, really looking forward to this. Very short grass, totally different than what I'm used to.

but what to mow it with? I can't use a zero turn due to bad arthritis, must have a steering wheel and for sure power steering.
Both JD and Kubota make CUTs with a 72, most of the real small stuff like the 1 series JD comes only with a 60 inch mower if I read it right.

My local Kubota dealer gave me these numbers:
B3200HSD w/RC72-27BA for 18016
B2650HSD w/RC72-30B for 18220

The alternative is the least expensive 2wd Kubota F mower or the JD equivalent. And they start around 21K.

Also factoring in is that I have two other larger tractors (both with Ag R1 tires...) plus a Gravely garden tractor with a 60 mower that is high effort to use, so I am leaning towards a true mowing machine
and thought the F series Kubota was the nicest design, being able to swing the mower deck fully vertical. Makes getting off blades much easier when one is
not limber any more.

Is the JD version of the Kubota F front style mower better? This is commercial grade equipment, kind of overkill but boy is there a lot of lawn. And I'm going to plant an orchard with dozens of trees, and I need to get under the limbs. front style mower seems best, but whose?

I know nothing of this type equipment other than my BIL and older brother both have a Kubota F and swear by them, not at them.
big bucks...

I saw Kubota made a 100 inch five deck mower for the F series; hugely expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    983.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    811.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    972.5 KB · Views: 194
   / 6 foot lawnmower needed #2  
Check out LS Tractors. They are headquartered and built in NC. The G,R, and XR series all use a 72" finish mower. For that property I'd consider tow behind reel mowers like the golf courses use.

/ 6 foot lawnmower needed #3  
Also check out Grasshopper. They make front-mount mowers like the Kubota F-series with power fold up decks.

/ 6 foot lawnmower needed #5  
Nice Place, welcome to NC. I would consider putting turf tires on one of your larger tractors and getting a 8 foot Woods estate mower. Expensive but it cuts just as well ( finished look ) as my kubota 60 inch belly mower.
Scott

/ 6 foot lawnmower needed #6  
For that property I'd consider tow behind reel mowers like the golf courses use.

That sounds like a good idea. There's a small landing strip by me that uses one of those and it does a good job. Of course you still need something to pull it with so you will still want to get turfs on onebof your current tractors. It also wouldn't be real easy to maneuver around trees and such.

If you are ok with used, I see big 3-gang mowing machines at auctions all of the time, both reel type and rotary. They are usually decommissioned from golf courses and still seem to have life left in them.

/ 6 foot lawnmower needed #7  
that is what I was thinking.
That sounds like a good idea. There's a small landing strip by me that uses one of those and it does a good job. Of course you still need something to pull it with so you will still want to get turfs on onebof your current tractors. It also wouldn't be real easy to maneuver around trees and such.

If you are ok with used, I see big 3-gang mowing machines at auctions all of the time, both reel type and rotary. They are usually decommissioned from golf courses and still seem to have life left in them.

/ 6 foot lawnmower needed #8  
My dad recently bought a Cub Cadet zero turn that has a steering wheel. It only has a 60" deck though. Fairly heavy duty looking and probably would knock out 6 acres pretty fast, especially once that orchard gets started. A larger tractor and trees with low branches don't mix well. I like the four wheel steer Deere's if your looking to maximize comfort and maneuverability, but the Cub Cadet is close and less expensive.

/ 6 foot lawnmower needed #9  
What part of the zero turn inflames your arthritis more, the bumpy ride or the twin stick controls? If its the bumpy ride, Ferris makes a very nice and fast mower with independent suspension and you can add a suspension seat for even more fluffiness. If the arthritis issues are in the wrists and elbows, all zero turns will give you trouble though.

/ 6 foot lawnmower needed
thanks guys, all good ideas. I did look at the CC; it's the only one out there in that price point for sure. And my arthritis is in the arms and wrists so the constant gripping of z turn mower arms is not going to work. And poorplowboy, you bet on the Ferris. When I owned one, I had a Ferris 3100 with full suspension and despite having sixteen zerks in the back to grease, it did ride nicely.

Zero turns go like heck and are good for mowing in the fast lane. I'm looking for a slower, larger bite approach if I can. And once I plant several dozen fruit trees, pulling a rig behind me is dicey, though funny to mention, when I put the ag tires on my Case IH, I kept the big Bridgestone Pillow tires that were on it, so I suppose I do have a turf tire option, but as much as I like the 23hp CIH, it's not a mowing machine for close quarters. Besides a big set of reel gangs sure aren't that easy to store anywhere.

when i'm all done looking at the options, I may wind up back at 60 inches if only to cut the cost of the mower by ten grand. Lot of money...the difference is new granite counters for the kitchen, etc, etc, etc.

well, I have eight hours to ponder this, heading that way in an hour.

Will check out the grasshopper option.