6.7 PS Exhaust Filter Cleaning Cycle

/ 6.7 PS Exhaust Filter Cleaning Cycle #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
Curious how often you are seeing the "Cleaning Diesel Exhaust Filter" message pop up in the information screen on your Ford 6.7 Powerstroke.

For me it seems to be about once per tankful.

Also. I am sure it varies but how long does it take for this regen cycle to complete for you. I find it difficult to tell because there is no message when the cycle completes. The only indication is when the MPG goes back into the normal range. The regen cycle is about a 6MPG hit for me, and lasts from 4 to 10 minutes.

/ 6.7 PS Exhaust Filter Cleaning Cycle #2  
Curious how often you are seeing the "Cleaning Diesel Exhaust Filter" message pop up in the information screen on your Ford 6.7 Powerstroke.

For me it seems to be about once per tankful.

Also. I am sure it varies but how long does it take for this regen cycle to complete for you. I find it difficult to tell because there is no message when the cycle completes. The only indication is when the MPG goes back into the normal range. The regen cycle is about a 6MPG hit for me, and lasts from 4 to 10 minutes.

our crew cabs at work are diesel f-350's. the newer ones have this regeneration system on them. it varies on when it regenerates as ours sometimes get a bit of ideling time. the one we have that i have been around a bit is starting to regenerate more often it seems as it is getting older (has almost 100,000 miles on it). if i had to guess maybe 2-3 times per tank full now. didn't use to be that often. can't really say as to how long it takes to complete this process as i think that varies according to driving conditions. i believe the engine needs to be driven at a certain rpms for a certain amount of time. if the rpms drop, this interupts the process and it will need to continue when the correct conditions are met again. on our mack dump trucks it requires "parked regeneration" sometimes and this can take from 20 to 45 minutes.

/ 6.7 PS Exhaust Filter Cleaning Cycle #3  
I average a regen about every 150 miles or so, give or take. Manual even states its normal to see a regen every 100-150 miles depending on driving habits. Bouncing around town, short trips etc, will increase the regens vs. towing heavy loads and really working the truck.

My regens usually take about 10 miles to complete. If you happen to stop and park the truck during a regen it will continue on the next start up. However, I believe if the truck doesn't get a full regen in after several attempts you will see a message that says, "Continue driving, cleaning exhaust filter" Or something to that effect. There is also no indication of when the regen is over except when the MPG average goes back up.

/ 6.7 PS Exhaust Filter Cleaning Cycle #4  
I average a regen about every 150 miles or so, give or take. Manual even states its normal to see a regen every 100-150 miles depending on driving habits. Bouncing around town, short trips etc, will increase the regens vs. towing heavy loads and really working the truck.

My regens usually take about 10 miles to complete. If you happen to stop and park the truck during a regen it will continue on the next start up. However, I believe if the truck doesn't get a full regen in after several attempts you will see a message that says, "Continue driving, cleaning exhaust filter" Or something to that effect. There is also no indication of when the regen is over except when the MPG average goes back up.

/ 6.7 PS Exhaust Filter Cleaning Cycle

That's about what I was expecting but my regen cycles have been about every 300 or so miles, but then i don't work the truck hard. most days it's running empty with just me in the cab and maybe 100 pounds of junk I drag with me.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I don't see why it would have been so difficult to have a message popup when the regen cycle completes.

/ 6.7 PS Exhaust Filter Cleaning Cycle #6  
I just recently had to have all 3 rtd's (temperature sensors) replaced on the emissions system and they were not covered by any warranty. It is an awful failure mode too. If the sensor fails open circuit, and reads high (max) then you basically get shut down. I was driving to work and all the power disappeared and as I was coasting it flashed a message "Stop Safely NOW". I was only a mile from work and managed to nurse it in at barely idle, then in the parking lot when the speed dropped below 10mph the engine was simply turned off !!! After it shut itself down, it would not even crank until hours later. By noon it started back up, but when I shut it off, that was it, locked out again. Basically the vehicle has to be towed.

I researched the message I saw and it didn't take long to identify the problem. I went to the local dealer and bought the 3 sensors ($65 each) and thought I would replace them myself. However the nuts that hold then in were not budging and I was not going to be the one to strip them... So i disconnected the old toasted sensors and plugged the new ones into the harness and zip tied them out the way so they would not get burned by the exhaust. Like that I could start it up and drive it to the dealer. It went into reduced power mode, but it was still perfectly driveable, so I dropped it off at the dealer, who was expecting me by then. The dealer had a 3 week backlog of work on the F series diesel so I was out of a truck for nearly a month before I got it back.

Its a pretty poor system and user interface. I don't know why they don't let you set things up so that you can see as much or as little about the engine operation as what you want. Its such a big display but you get virtually no choice regarding what is on it.

/ 6.7 PS Exhaust Filter Cleaning Cycle #7  
Does your model use urea ( def) fluid? Or did that start with 2010?

/ 6.7 PS Exhaust Filter Cleaning Cycle #8  
Mine is a 2008. NOx abatement went into effect 2010 model year along with the new engine. I forgot to mention I have less than 70k miles on mine.

/ 6.7 PS Exhaust Filter Cleaning Cycle #10  
I forget the engine size. Just looked it up and yes, it is a 6.4. Previous turbo diesel I had was 1.4 and I liked it. A 4.0 would probably have been fine. I'm not in a race...