5w-30 instead of 10w-30? Amsoil?

/ 5w-30 instead of 10w-30? Amsoil? #1  

RanchMan

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4110
Looking at changing the oil in my tractor soon. The book says 10w-30 CD/CE. Amsoil has a 10w-30 rated as "CF" (which is supposed to be ok to use in place of CD oil).

Sent Amsoil a message, they responded recommending their 5w-30 CH-4 oil.

My question: Is there a problem going to "5" instead of sticking with "10"?

BTW, haven't heard back from the tractor manufacturer yet.

/ 5w-30 instead of 10w-30? Amsoil? #2  
RanchMan, sounds like Mahindra is as far behind on updating their manuals as Kubota is./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif The CC/CD rating is definitely obsolete (can't say for sure whether you can still find CF), but the CH-4 is the latest rating. The first letter "C" means it's for compression combustion engines (diesel) and the second letter tells you how "modern" it is; the higher up the alphabet the better. I certainly doubt that you'd ever have a problem with that 5W-30 oil and if you were in a cold climate, it would be even better, but in Texas? . . . . I'd go with a 15W-40 oil, CH-4 rating, if it were me.

/ 5w-30 instead of 10w-30? Amsoil? #3  
Ranch Man, What equipment are you running AMSOIL in ?I use the AME 15w40 ($15.35 Gallon) v/s the HDD 5w-30that cost ($24.90 per gallon) and I have had excellantresults. I use the AMSOIL AME 15w40 even when the manufacturercalls for a 10w30 (No Problems). AMSOIL Dealer: AmericanMadeOil.com

/ 5w-30 instead of 10w-30? Amsoil?
Bird-

You got that right on regarding the out of date manuals! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

DoNotTreadOnMe-

Well, currently I haven't run Amsoil in anything - just considering it. I have found Kubota brand 10w-30 and Shell, but, but otherwise it seems pretty hard to find. Just thought I might try synthetics.

/ 5w-30 instead of 10w-30? Amsoil? #5  
I have been running the Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 in my JD 4700 for the last 60 hours with no problems. I also ran it for over 200 hours in my 96 JD 955 before I sold it. I run it in my 97 Ford Powerstroke also that has 500+ HP.

In my opinion it is one of the best HD oils out there. It makes the engines run smoother, especially in the cold winter months.