5th wheel or gooseneck

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
Have done a little youtube searching but can't really find solid answers. I have a 2021 F450 4x4 diesel. Im going to be pulling a 38 foot camper. It has the standard pin box on it now, and I need to buy either a 5th wheel or I could use the factory installed gooseneck ball mount in the bed. Either way I need to buy something. Trailer weighs about 14k empty. I haven't towed with either set up in the past..Only bumper pulls to date. Im looking for a more comfortable experience, Im told a 5th wheel will still ?chuck" bang around like a pintle hitch does..that would bother me on longer rides.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #2  
Have done a little youtube searching but can't really find solid answers. I have a 2021 F450 4x4 diesel. Im going to be pulling a 38 foot camper. It has the standard pin box on it now, and I need to buy either a 5th wheel or I could use the factory installed gooseneck ball mount in the bed. Either way I need to buy something. Trailer weighs about 14k empty. I haven't towed with either set up in the past..Only bumper pulls to date. Im looking for a more comfortable experience, Im told a 5th wheel will still ?chuck" bang around like a pintle hitch does..that would bother me on longer rides.
Only reason any hitch bangs around is because not enough weight on the tongue end. I just hauled one to Alaska. Never noticed any banging.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck
Only reason any hitch bangs around is because not enough weight on the tongue end. I just hauled one to Alaska. Never noticed any banging.
When I pull with a pintle. It will always clunk and bang at stops and starts. also on bumpy roads. Makes no difference how much hitch weight it has ..and there is always plenty.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #4  
When I pull with a pintle. It will always clunk and bang at stops and starts. also on bumpy roads. Makes no difference how much hitch weight it has ..and there is always plenty.
We haul on a Beaver equipment trailer pintle hitch. Stand alone delimber pintle hitch. IR 375 cfm compressor pintle hitch. I've never heard my brother mention it and he's never heard me.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck
We haul on a Beaver equipment trailer pintle hitch. Stand alone delimber pintle hitch. IR 375 cfm compressor pintle hitch. I've never heard my brother mention it and he's never heard me.
My trailers with a pintle are a 12K Cam with a standard donut and a combo ball hitch. It bangs, Send your brother down and ill let him drive. That said, This is not the topic I'm asking about. So back to the topic.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #6  
When I had looked at this in the past, there was some info out there that gooseneck adapters put too much stress where they bolt up/replace the 5th wheel pin.

Try posting this in the Towing forum here...

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #8  
This article may help.

/ 5th wheel or gooseneck #10  
I've had both a 5th wheel RV and a gooseneck equipment trailer that I pulled with my Dodge 3500 dually. Had 2 rails in the bed that the 5th wheel set on. Also had a gooseneck plate with a 2 5/16 ball that would set on the rails. Just had to pull the 5th wheel. Was not an issue. I looked into getting a "king pin" mount for the gooseneck trailer but sold it first. King pin was a lot easier to hook up to. Also, I've never seen an RV 5th wheel with safety chains.