5gal pail of grease?

/ 5gal pail of grease? #1  

City Farmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 4400 & 4500TLB Case 830 Case 350 dozer
How many of you guys use a 5gal bucket for their grease? I've been thinking about going that route because I'm constantly changing the 14oz cartridges. I was pricing out the 274 Schaeffer 5gal (40lb) grease buckets VS the 30 tube case(26.25lbs). For another $40, you get 50% more grease in the bucket. Do you guys refill your tubes or just use it right out of the bucket? If you use it right out of the bucket, what model dispenser do you use? I was looking at the pneumatic Nothern Tool dispenser but it's pricey at $300.

Last edited:
   / 5gal pail of grease? #2  
When I was on the farm and had cotton picker to grease daily, we bought the grease by 5 gallon pails and then filled our grease gun which held about 5 gallons. The cotton picker spindle grease was very fluid so it would almost pour from the 5 gallon pail. My Dad always used the 5 gallon pail to fill his grease gun, just stuck the grease gun way down into the grease and slowly pulled back on the handle. To my knowledge, they didn't have the Cartridges way back then. However any grease gun made today will suck the grease up from the pail, just a bit messy to wipe off the gun tube after filling. Cartridges are way less mess to contend with and since I don't use a lot of them, they are the way to go for me.

/ 5gal pail of grease? #3  
I probably go through enough grease to justify the savings. I have always considered the maintenance side of my business as time when I'm not making money. Therefore it needs to be as short and painless as possible. The reality of course is it is all part of the big picture.

/ 5gal pail of grease? #4  
If yer using a lot of grease look a keg and a pump. Then you can grease stuff, fill the hand guns and so on.

/ 5gal pail of grease? #5  
yea old school guns didn't have tubes.

Seems like every other tube of grease I get an air lock and am fooling with the dang thing 5 to 10 minutes. It may just be that old wore out gun I have. The newer one with the hard shaft on the grease end does not seem to have the same trouble and clears easier.

/ 5gal pail of grease? #6  
After trying to suck bearing grease up into a gun the way Gary's dad did, I was like Brea Rabbit fighting the grease baby. I can't imagine a good dispenser not being an improvement.

As a side note I used to have an employer who used very little grease. The grease gun had a zerk on it and when it was empty they sent me to the filling station to have it filled at the grease rack.

/ 5gal pail of grease? #7  
I have a 5 gallon pail of wheel bearing grease. I still pack all wheel bearings by hand. It does make it easier to
do a messy job. I have refilled a few cartridges using a puddy knife. I can get the cartrides about 3/4 full.

/ 5gal pail of grease? #8  
I bought a bucket after I realized the cost savings. I suck the grease into the gun as Gary noted. Use an old putty knife to neaten it up. Works great.

/ 5gal pail of grease? #9  
I got a 5 gal pail when I was on the farm with a pump system. Had 100 angus cows 2 bulls + calves at the time. After about 5 years I sold out and still had about 1/2 of the bucket left. I would just use the tubes, they are so handy and if you buy them by the case from the oil company distributor they are a lot cheaper. That is how I wish I had done it and do it now. Ed