58 MPG by 2032

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #51  
I'm sold on a hybrid. I needed a new car, a friends son had passed so I bought his Honda Accord Hybrid.

I DO try to drive it very carefully as I get reimbursed for my mileage (higher MPG's I get, the better payout for me)

I started being VERY conscious on how I was driving maybe eight months ago. My MPG's (as calculated by car computer) were maybe 47 MPG. I wondered if I could get it to 50 mpg's.... took several months but I finally inched it up to 50 mpg's....

Had me wondering if I could go further.... last week, I hit 53.1 mpg's. The .1 comes & goes so I am finding it difficult to keep it there however, the terrain I drive on will certainly influence that so i keep at it.

Since it's an electric drive, you can put it into sport mode and have instant torque "right now".

Cutting to the chase, the car is one of the most FUN cars I've ever had (I owned a Chevelle in the late 70's and later on, owned a 4-4-2 so I know the kick in the pants torque can be)

This thing is pretty much as fun as those old muscle cars HOWEVER, I'm also getting 53 mpg's.... something unheard of with those old cars.

Personally, I think this is the way to go.....but, I don't have a political stick in the fire, I think they make good sense at this point in time.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #52  
Lower speed limits across the board to 65mph. There is a huge saving to be had everywhere.
Highway Speed limits are limited to 65 mph in most states.

The problem being is that cars, trucks have a human operator. The human operator is where the problem is and there is no way to limit or restrict his/her activity except by putting some one in the vehicle with them armed with a cattle prod and use the prod to jog or refresh their memory each time they exceed 65 mph.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #53  
Thanks Jesus for 75-85mph speed limits in Tx.

Owned a 2003 5spd and 2010 6spd Jetta. Loved those little cars. Couple odd issues, glow plug harness, EGR valve, AC compressor, water pump, 100k timing belts.

Not too terrible on maintenance, put about 350k between the 2.

45-55mpg on the 2003
35-45mpg on the 2010 (much heavier and more powerful)

I got rid of both before the emissions cheater deal, probably wouldn’t own one now that they have been neutered.

Some of the German quality of individually numbered wires within the fabric wrapped loom inside of raceways sure was nice. Amercian car manufacturers only understand electrical tape and plastic loom 🤮

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #54  
Thanks Jesus for 75-85mph speed limits in Tx.

Owned a 2003 5spd and 2010 6spd Jetta. Loved those little cars. Couple odd issues, glow plug harness, EGR valve, AC compressor, water pump, 100k timing belts.

Not too terrible on maintenance, put about 350k between the 2.

45-55mpg on the 2003
35-45mpg on the 2010 (much heavier and more powerful)

I got rid of both before the emissions cheater deal, probably wouldn’t own one now that they have been neutered.

Some of the German quality of individually numbered wires within the fabric wrapped loom inside of raceways sure was nice. Amercian car manufacturers only understand electrical tape and plastic loom 🤮
Yep provides for some exciting moments. Cruising along at 80 mph and look over and some idiot who is passing you is limp wrist driving/steering with his arm draped over the top of the steering wheel.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #55  
Yep provides for some exciting moments. Cruising along at 80 mph and look over and some idiot who is passing you is limp wrist driving/steering with his arm draped over the top of the steering wheel.

Well depending on what I’m driving, possible my hands aren’t on the wheel at 85. 🤫

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #56  
Well depending on what I’m driving, possible my hands aren’t on the wheel at 85. 🤫
Unless you are driving one of the autonomous level 4 or 5 vehicles you are not going far at 80 plus mph per hour before you come to a sudden stop.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #57  
Highway Speed limits are limited to 65 mph in most states.

The problem being is that cars, trucks have a human operator. The human operator is where the problem is and there is no way to limit or restrict his/her activity except by putting some one in the vehicle with them armed with a cattle prod and use the prod to jog or refresh their memory each time they exceed 65 mph.
Heavy trucks here in Ontario are goverened to 105km/65mph. They may need to increase it to 110km since our 400 series highway have been increasedto 110km.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #58  
People back East love lowering speed limits. Never travel more than 65 miles, so cannot understand why those of us in the west drive fast.
How fast is fast? There are places on the interstate where the SL is 75... which means that most are doing 80. Yet there are always a few who go by like we are sitting still. We don't have the long, straight, flat roads across wide open spaces here which you do, which is one of many reasons for the difference in viewpoints.

I don't know if it's true or not but back in the mid '80s I was on a crew with a college student from Missoula. He stated that the summons for exceeding the 55mph limit was for "squandering a natural resource" and the fine was a dollar.
That was one way to comply with federal mandates. :D

It makes you wonder if government is here to serve us, or if we are at the beck and call of the government.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #59  
We have started driving more and not flying for different reasons in the last three years. Most places we’ve been the speed limit is at least 70 mph on the interstate and I know many are 75 mph. Utah was 80 mph. You can cover some serious ground at those speeds and I’d hate to see them rolled back.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #60  
We have started driving more and not flying for different reasons in the last three years. Most places we’ve been the speed limit is at least 70 mph on the interstate and I know many are 75 mph. Utah was 80 mph. You can cover some serious ground at those speeds and I’d hate to see them rolled back.

Same here. Nevada/Utah/Wyoming speed limit is 80 mph. I set the cruise at 83 mph (no worries about speeding tickets at that speed) and let the truck eat up the miles.
DSC01649ertbn8-17-22.jpg