Snow Attachments 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower

/ 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #11  
How about changing the chain sprocket sizes?

/ 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #12  
.....doubling the rpm to 1000 means you need double the horsepower to be able to do the same work......
not true - doubling the speed cuts the torque in half - but the power delivered is nearly the same except for small gearing loss (~10%). It would work fine, blowing snow doesn't need much power. But external pto gearboxes are spendy these days - you're right that finding a compatible blower might well be cheaper.

The lucky owners of Kubota L3 machines ('92-'98 Lxx50 models) have the option of adding-2-speed-pto using factory parts.

Last edited:
   / 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #13  
I disagree with the power thing. Our JD dealer once told me that blowing snow is the hardest thing many a tractor will ever be called upon to do!

Some good amount of snow, a seven foot blower, and you can suck the life completely out of a 70 PTO HP tractor!

/ 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #14  
I disagree with the power thing. Our JD dealer once told me that blowing snow is the hardest thing many a tractor will ever be called upon to do!

I can definately see a difference in power required between powering a 5 foot brush hog and a 5 foot snow blower. They both can slow down the old ford tractor we used to have way too easy.

Just like mowing different types of grass and thick brush, there is different conditions of snow that can be harder to move than other snow with a snow blower

/ 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #15  
For starters a tractor delivers virtually the same horsepower to a pto regardless of whether it's a 540 or a 1000 rpm pto. The only exception to that is if the respective pto speeds are generated at different engine speeds. 1000 rpm pto's were designed to transmit more horsepower without enlarging pto shaft size as you can put 4 times the power through the same sized shaft if you double it's speed. A snow blower designed for 540 and switched to 1000 will throw the snow a lot further. It will also use more horsepower because it takes more power to throw the snow further. Hope that clears up a few ideas for readers.

/ 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #16  
do you have any more information on the blower itself?
brand, size, pictures? is it a true 3ph blower? or possibly
has it been converted? i wouldn't think a 1000 rpm pto driveshaft would
easily hook onto a 540 tractor, and most 1000 rpm implements are for
much larger equipment..........although there may be some for older smaller
tractors from overseas.........

/ 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #17  
I have a 1990 Kubota L3010 with a single speed 540 PTO. It is too slow for my 3 pt snow blower as the snow dribbles out and it gets clogged up far too often.

Is there a gearbox or mod I can install in between the PTO and snow blower to increase the drive speed into the snow blower?

Thanks for your advice.
jon

I have the same issue with my Kubota M105. I contacted Hub City the yesterday and the following is their reply:
"In response to your inquiry, unfortunately Hub City has discontinued the Model 390 PTO and there is no product to replace it at this time.
Thank you for thinking of Hub City for your application.
Have a good day," (Al Rothman Northgate Technologies, Inc)

I really wanted that as it was cheaper than putting in a 1000 rpm shaft which my Kubota dealer said would cost me $2100. I'll keep on searching.

/ 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #18  
Is the 1000 rpm pto available in a kit from Kubota? If it is just try googling the part number for the kit. Also try Kijiji or Craigslist. I found a complete mid pto kit for my tractor that way at considerable savings. I don't know what piecing together the kit out of parts would have cost but I paid $250 for the complete kit.

/ 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #19  
I only had my BX2200 but bought a used SS52 snowblower. Just like mowing I forget about the 540 rpm and go to full throttle. It worked and threw the snow (with the wind) good enough for me, maybe 30'. The real problem was I was too low to the ground and most of the time couldn't see where I was going or took a lot of snow in the face. :thumbdown: The next winter I upgraded to a L3800 HST. Being higher up helped a lot. :)
So now we are going from a 22hp tractor to a 38hp tractor. To my surprise there was not much difference in the distance the snow was going. :confused3: Both tractors needed full throttle settings. I gained better traction, steering, visibility and did the long driveway in about half the time but, not much more distance (maybe 2 or 3 feet and again with the wind).

Just letting you know my experience. So I guess I'm thinking that the snowblower has to have a properly sized impeller in relation to the auger feed system and chute size as regardless of the horse power the RPM's can't change. 540 means 540 plus what the gears upgrade it to the implement.

I am putting the ss52 up for sale though. Maintenance and keeping flying snow off me is just too much work compared with the back blade and bucket. :laughing:

/ 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #20  
4 times the power required when doubling the rpms if the mass being removed stays identical.