Snow Attachments 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower

/ 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #21  
I have a 1990 Kubota L3010 with a single speed 540 PTO. It is too slow for my 3 pt snow blower as the snow dribbles out and it gets clogged up far too often.

Are you running your tractor at FULL PTO speed? Your blower WAS designed to run at 540, as all 3pt blowers are. I'd look at your throttle as problem 1, then at the blower itself. I've run through mashed potatoes with mine, but it DOES need to be at full speed. Also, if I reduce RPMs when the snow is heavy, it can lock up - snow turns to concrete and will break all the shear pins. If I keep the RPMs up, it will eat a car. Keep that throttle pinned as far as it will go - I suspect you're keeping the RPM down a bit - and it bit is all it takes.

The impeller diameter is smaller than others I have seen leading me to believe it's made for 1000RPM. No data on the identification tag.
Luckily I have HST and can creeeeep along.
It works on only the driest, lightest of snow which, thankfully this year, is what we've been getting.
Looking for a way to bump up the drive speed at either end of the input.
Ideas? No shop. Working in the woods with stone axes and bear skins for tools. Can't fabricate for beans either. Gotta be bolt-on.

Edit: Just saw this later post of yours - OK, so you're blower is made for 1000RPMs.

I found exactly what you're looking for - a 540RPM/1000RPM conversion unit. (now I want one)

Hub City Inc - Model 390 PTO Speed Changer

You want model 0220-06207-390. Cool eh? If nothing else, we know they exist. Something to get your search started with anyway... (sales@hubcityinc.com)

Apparently they are new:
FARM SHOW - PTO Speed Changer For Farm Tractors
Pricey though at ~$800

I couldn't find the exact details, but if you ping TBN member "rbargeron", he did a two-speed conversion on his tractor for ~$500 using foreign parts (non-US Kubotas have different PTO speeds, evidently). He is also from Massachusetts, so maybe he could actually SHOW you what he did in person :)

The punt position, and probably the cheapest solution BY FAR, of course, is to get on Craig's List and find a blower designed for 540RPM. You'll probably be able to get one in decent shape for under a grand if you're patient - long time 'till the snow flys. Look for a 4-blade fan and heavier is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #22  
Some of K's US models in the '80s had 2-speed ptos. They were discontinued, possibly out of concern that people would get in trouble spinning 540 implements at the higher speed. The later L3 models L4350, L4850, L5450 were 2 speed in other countries but single speed in the US. Gears from the earlier US L3 models L3350, L3750, L4150 can be installed, adding the higher speed. I converted two L5450's - the first one used $250 in new parts listed for the Australian L5450. For second was done with used US parts from Wenger's.

A pto speed increaser makes sense if your engine is bigger than needed. But if it's not, running it at lower rpm may not have good enough governor response (important with a pto generator).

Another unit besides the Hub City unit above is this one made by Comer Indust.(Italy??) but only available wholesale. It's for 75 hp and costs about $900 each in quantity of ten (!!).

Several people have posted about impeller clearance - the rubber paddle kit may be something to try.

Last edited:
   / 540 PTO too slow for 3 pt snow blower #23  
When I first got my used Jinma snowblower, I wondered if it was a 1000 rpm model because it didn't throw snow well. I looked closely and realized the impeller clearance was really large. I installed a Clarences Impeller Kit (rubber tips) and it now performs well. This may not be the issue with the blower in question (Chinese snowblowers don't have real good dimensional control) but it's worth checking. A lot cheaper than adding a PTO speed.