5310 600 Hour Valve Clearance Adjustment

/ 5310 600 Hour Valve Clearance Adjustment #1  

klm

Silver Member
Tractor
Allis D17 CIH D40, JD5310, Massimo MS50010
Anybody got a feel for how important this is? It's a real PITA for me to get this done because of where the tractor is located.

600 Hour Adjust Engine Valve Clearance

Ask your John Deere dealer to make engine valve clearance adjustment and inspect fuel injectors.

I wonder if 99% of the time it is ok? These 3 cylinder Diesels always sound like they are about to come apart to me anyway.

If I could get the procedure from the service manual I probably would do it myself.

/ 5310 600 Hour Valve Clearance Adjustment #2  
I can only answer one of your questions on how to do it yourself last URL. The other URLs you may find of interest. If you do it yourself, I would interested to know how it turned out and how much adjustment was needed.

Hopefully others can answer your question on need to do it.

Services and Support from JohnDeere

This is a John Deere manual on the engine.
http://www.visaevolution.com/dati_sito/manuali/officina/motori/john deere/ctm125-3029-ENG.pdf

/ 5310 600 Hour Valve Clearance Adjustment
Thank you for the manual link, that is something I have been looking for. You wouldn't happen to have the link to the rest of the service manual?

/ 5310 600 Hour Valve Clearance Adjustment #4  
I would do the adjustment. A burned valve or valves is expensive compared to the valve adjustment. I have a 5200 with the (I think) the same engine. The hardest part was one of the valve adjusters was ackward to reach. Found that the valve adjuster slid on the shaft (it's held in place with a spring) Also, it's worth while getting the flywheel turning tool. (JDE 83) The first time I adjusted the valves, I used the front pulley nut to turn the engine.

/ 5310 600 Hour Valve Clearance Adjustment
Well we did the adjustment, really not much to it, all except one needed some adjustment and one was off about .007, all to the loose side. Biggest problem like hosspuller said was some adjuster nuts were awkward to get to. thanks again for the manual link.

/ 5310 600 Hour Valve Clearance Adjustment #7  
KLM, thank you for sharing how it went and your findings, when you did the valve adjustment