53 farmall super c won't stay running

/ 53 farmall super c won't stay running #1  

bugdout

Tractor
1953 farmall super c
Hi all I'm new to the site and have already found there is a lot of information on here. I am having trouble with a farmall I picked up a few months ago. I bought it from a friend and he seemed to think the govener spring had broken because it would just rev up to top rpm with no reaction to moving the throttle. I pulled the govener apart it it was in good working order. I pulled off the carberator (zenith) and cleaned it good and made sure all the jets were clean. I can start it with the choke on and it runs for 30 to 40 seconds and then cuts off. I have no idea where to go from here. I am a hands on person and restored vw bugs for 12 years and this is my first time messing with an older tractor. I really don't want to take it to a shop. thanks for any help you are able to give...Happy Thanksgiving

/ 53 farmall super c won't stay running #2  
Hi all I'm new to the site and have already found there is a lot of information on here. I am having trouble with a farmall I picked up a few months ago. I bought it from a friend and he seemed to think the govener spring had broken because it would just rev up to top rpm with no reaction to moving the throttle. I pulled the govener apart it it was in good working order. I pulled off the carberator (zenith) and cleaned it good and made sure all the jets were clean. I can start it with the choke on and it runs for 30 to 40 seconds and then cuts off. I have no idea where to go from here. I am a hands on person and restored vw bugs for 12 years and this is my first time messing with an older tractor. I really don't want to take it to a shop. thanks for any help you are able to give...Happy Thanksgiving

I'm betting you have "crud" in your fuel tank and its clogging the fuel line...ie. enough gas seeps down the line to the carb, for 30 seconds or so of running and then it just starves...let it sit and it will do the same thing again. Also cut the gas off at the tank, and take the fuel line off at the carb...there should be a brass strainer just in the carb body...see if "crud" resides there also...BobG in VA