5145 inaccurate RPM after warm up

/ 5145 inaccurate RPM after warm up #1  

John stark

Tractor
Mahindra 4540 2wd
I have a 5145 that the tach starts reading low rpm after it gets warmed up, runs fine when it happens....just impossible to know where my engine speed is,at idle runs zero on rpm, and at WOT it reads 1500 or so, dealership said bring it in or schedule a pickup, I just figured maybe someone knew about this issue before I went that route, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
   / 5145 inaccurate RPM after warm up
Just an up date on this issue....I haven't been able to recreate this issue witch is a little scary because it could run fine through the warranty period then fail later....I talked to my dealership, and we both agreed that there is no point in having them pick it up when they would have problems trying to recreate problem as well, Mahindra iam told won't want to replace the instrument cluster if it's not malfunctioning, witch I can't blame them, so I've been instructed to video tape the problem should it re appear, that way it's proof that there is an issue and it will time stamp it as well, so there ya have it....watch and wait 🤔

/ 5145 inaccurate RPM after warm up #3  
Just an up date on this issue....I haven't been able to recreate this issue witch is a little scary because it could run fine through the warranty period then fail later....I talked to my dealership, and we both agreed that there is no point in having them pick it up when they would have problems trying to recreate problem as well, Mahindra iam told won't want to replace the instrument cluster if it's not malfunctioning, witch I can't blame them, so I've been instructed to video tape the problem should it re appear, that way it's proof that there is an issue and it will time stamp it as well, so there ya have it....watch and wait 🤔
Thanks for the update John!

/ 5145 inaccurate RPM after warm up #4  
So, I had a similar issue on my 4035. Pulled the electrical diagram and looked for attachment points. There will be a line that runs to the alternator. I pulled all of mine and cleaned them. Reassembled with a bit of dielectric grease; issue solved.

/ 5145 inaccurate RPM after warm up #5  
So, I had a similar issue on my 4035. Pulled the electrical diagram and looked for attachment points. There will be a line that runs to the alternator. I pulled all of mine and cleaned them. Reassembled with a bit of dielectric grease; issue solved.

agree with this; look at the alternator. Check the belts, etc.

On my skidsteer, the rpm's and sometimes the fuel gauge would just start acting wacky. Eventually the alternator died. Put a new alternator in and everything worked fine. So....maybe it is indicating potential alternator issues.

Doubt that , machine is brand new, belt tension is good....we believe it to be something in the instrument cluster....they have had a few recent issues with the cluster, thanks though 😁

/ 5145 inaccurate RPM after warm up #7  
Doubt that , machine is brand new, belt tension is good....we believe it to be something in the instrument cluster....they have had a few recent issues with the cluster, thanks though 😁

You never know.....my brand new skidsteer in 2009 came with a bad alternator

/ 5145 inaccurate RPM after warm up #9  
Just as a related note. Once for a period of time (roughly a month) on my Branson my tach started registering twice the rpm the engine was running. Then it stopped doing it and has worked fine ever since. Must be tractor gremlins.

Any update?
Yes just an update on this issue, it has not happened again I ran tractor pretty hard this weekend and it seems ok, I feel in my gut that this problem could reoccur , but until it does iam not gonna worry about it , on another note( just an observation) I've noticed at 1900 rpms it seems to have a lot of vibration, at 2000 rpm it smooths out....so between 1600to1900 it's a little rough, 1900 being the worse , almost as if something is a bit out of balance internally, but I can live with it I guess, I was just wondering if anyone else's machine is this way?

Last edited: