5145, 50 hour service

/ 5145, 50 hour service #41  
The front axle on these are pretty stout. Perhaps a casting defect on the one in the shop.
We've not had one of this line back for any reason except for service but that means nothing to me as I am a believer that if man is involved, things can break no matter what the brand or what the machinery.
Be astute in operation and cross your fingers that yours doesn't because that is the only meaningful aspect of any brand...yours.
I agree on the surface it looks very stout, I did break my spider gears @ 20hrs, i'm waiting to hear back from Mahindra about cause, the dealer fixed it without issue so at least the parts are available. The parts could well have been defective all it takes is a bad batch of heat treated parts.

/ 5145, 50 hour service #42  
just finished the 50hr, i completed the oil and front axel weeks ago and then it rained. My service area is in the dirt so laying on my back in the mud had me put the hydraulic filter and screen off until it dried, i was sweating the hydraulic filter due to the location and the fact that the oil was painted in place and a PITA to break lose. turns out that the Hydraulic filter is a non issue and can easily be removed from the side behind the battery box. any way i'm good until 300hrs Whoot!

/ 5145, 50 hour service #43  
I agree on the surface it looks very stout, I did break my spider gears @ 20hrs, i'm waiting to hear back from Mahindra about cause, the dealer fixed it without issue so at least the parts are available. The parts could well have been defective all it takes is a bad batch of heat treated parts.
I've seen the front ring and pinion gears teeth break off within the front whl drive housing. That is usually due to a heavy load on the fel and the front tire slipping or mired stuck while attempting to back out of the a pile of material or wood stem stack..
Happened to me on my 3016. I had about a 1700 lb stem on the front log teeth attached to the bucket and the front tire slipped on ice and popped a pinion tooth off. I told them what I had done but they covered it anyway.

/ 5145, 50 hour service #44  
I've seen the front ring and pinion gears teeth break off within the front whl drive housing. That is usually due to a heavy load on the fel and the front tire slipping or mired stuck while attempting to back out of the a pile of material or wood stem stack..
Happened to me on my 3016. I had about a 1700 lb stem on the front log teeth attached to the bucket and the front tire slipped on ice and popped a pinion tooth off. I told them what I had done but they covered it anyway.
yes i agree the ring and pinion, but I have never seen the spider gears break. The ring and pinion is where the force is applied.

/ 5145, 50 hour service #45  
yes i agree the ring and pinion, but I have never seen the spider gears break. The ring and pinion is where the force is applied.
Me either. All spider gears do is equivocal to differentiated tire speed.
Free wheeling on one side may cause stress but that side has to spin pretty fast.

/ 5145, 50 hour service #46  
Me either. All spider gears do is equivocal to differentiated tire speed.
Free wheeling on one side may cause stress but that side has to spin pretty fast.
you do transmit force thru the spiders but you usually have 2 in parallel and each of those have 2 sides transmitting the force, so 4 contact surfaces where the ring and pinion only have 1, not to mention that the spiders are force balanced for deflection loads (somewhat) where the ring and pinion is not.

But mine did break and it was surprising enough that Mahindra engineering got involved and are analyzing the broken parts as well as calling me up to ask specific questions about the circumstances.

/ 5145, 50 hour service #47  
you do transmit force thru the spiders but you usually have 2 in parallel and each of those have 2 sides transmitting the force, so 4 contact surfaces where the ring and pinion only have 1, not to mention that the spiders are force balanced for deflection loads (somewhat) where the ring and pinion is not.

But mine did break and it was surprising enough that Mahindra engineering got involved and are analyzing the broken parts as well as calling me up to ask specific questions about the circumstances.
I've seen them bust at the drag strip.
You didn't line up your tractor with a hemi Dodge Demon right?
Those 2500 rpm tractor hole shots are killers.

Seriously It would be interesting to find out what is causing this. Off hand, I'm thinking some kind of gear geometry anomaly.
Satellite gears may also have a shaft distortion but usually this is caused with more of a sudden, high impact load force.
Unless the cross pin shaft was defective and bound up???

Last edited:
   / 5145, 50 hour service #48  
I'm interested also, no shock loads 2000rpm mid range 2nd Gear pulled up to 4 inch hueashe tree engage grapple and push all in straight line in disturbed soil then pop!
The dealer did not mention replacing Cross pin.
I'm thinking bad hardening on batch of parts

/ 5145, 50 hour service #49  
How did you reset the service light on 5145 ?

/ 5145, 50 hour service #50  
How did you reset the service light on 5145 ?
1668456604882.png