5093e Coolant leak

/ 5093e Coolant leak #1  

Harry in Ky

Veteran Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers ED 40

I'm wondering if anyone has had to remove one of these plastic pressure/surge tanks from the radiator before? I monkeyed around with one today for nearly an hour and couldn't figure out how it's attached. Nothing I took loose seemed to have any bearing on what holds it in place. I'm quite sure it has a crack on the bottom but can't get to the bottom without taking it off. Apparently I'm not smart enough to do that.

/ 5093e Coolant leak #2  
That's odd. It doesn't show anything attaching it to radiator.
O-Rings, so according to that picture, it should slide off. Probably on there pretty good, can you wiggle it around, back and forth?

/ 5093e Coolant leak #3  
Looks like it should slide off to the left. It may take some prying but it should move.

/ 5093e Coolant leak
Sliding off is a possibility, yes, but it doesn't make sense that it's held in place by nothing more than friction. There must be more than that or sooner or later it would start to move on its own. I tried some "gentle persuasion" in all directs with no effect. There's nothing to pry against except the radiator tank (also plastic) so it becomes a matter of which one breaks first.

/ 5093e Coolant leak #5  
Maybe a rubber mallet? I would imagine the retaining clips and the O-rings would hold it in place pretty well. Should take a good wack to move it I would think.

But I would inspect the clips closely to make sure it is open on the end to allow it to slide to the left.

/ 5093e Coolant leak #6  
Just a guess from looking at the parts diagram , possibly you have to lift the left side maybe an inch and then slide to the left. I see what looks to be a retaining bracket on top of the radiator.

/ 5093e Coolant leak #7  
There are plastic tabs under the tank that need to be depressed to release tank. Then it slides off. Still will be a little snug to release the seal of the orings. Most likely the orings are the source of the leak.

/ 5093e Coolant leak
I got it off today. I don't see any tabs that need to be depressed. It is indeed just a friction fit between a couple of plastic stubs on the radiator tank that fit into two receptacles (for lack of a better word) on the bottom of the surge tank. Those are both on the opposite end from the stub with the O rings. Which were not the problem, by the way. All that was dry under that side of the tank. The tank itself has a crack about an inch long on the bottom side just a short distance from the nipple where the hose (26 on the diagram) slips on.

After looking it over again today I concluded there were no actual retainers anywhere. I ended up using a foot long piece of a board as a punch, a four pound hammer and giving it a few good smacks in the direction it has to go. Sure enough it gave up.

Will order a new tank and O rings on Monday. I'm curious to see just how tight a fit the replacement will be when going on.

/ 5093e Coolant leak #9  
Tech manual showed depressing tabs to remove. Have seen other models that way. Definitely not the first time the manual has led me astray. Does seem odd to rely on friction fit to hold it on.

/ 5093e Coolant leak
Does you manual show any photos of where said tabs are located?