50 inch brush fork build (with quick-release lever)

/ 50 inch brush fork build (with quick-release lever) #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Built this brush fork. It's 52 1/8" wide with 50" long tines. It's made of 1x2x.120 rectangular steel tubing. The bucket is 52 3/8", which is 1/4" wider than the brush fork. I believe 1/4" is the perfect clearance for something 52" wide, with about 1 foot of engagement (appx 4:1). It still gets bound up, but is easy to un-bind, I wouldn't want it any looser or any tighter.

BrushforkB2710_72.jpg

The tines are a little too long, they can bend. My loader lifts 1,000 lbs and watching 50" tines flex with very heavy logs onboard, I'd say 40" might be more reasonable for a 1,000 lb FEL. But I can't bring myself to cut them :confused: (yet).

BrushforkB2710drilling72.jpg

Here you can see the angle-iron 'channels' that the fork slid into (original design months ago). As it is I rarely can design correctly the first time so I'm pretty much resolved to refinement by iteration. For me it's better to git'er done than wait for inspiration that may never come.

Today I removed the angle-irons and changed the mounting system to a couple sliding pins. There are many other ways, but I wanted a solution that was symmetrical and allows the fork to be flipped over someday as I'm not sure if I like the front angles in "safety mode" or "scoop mode". I will have to add a tab on the topside to invert the fork.
It was a bit of work (a 2 hour job that took 6 hours).

I did all this at my shop in the woods with a Miller MultiMatic200 MIG powered by two linked EU2000i honda generators (120v).

BrushforkB2710cutlengths_72.jpg

BrushforkB2710prettiestweld72.jpg

Added a tab below to engage the bucket cutting edge. It's 1/4" sheetmetal :D with a 3/16" doubler.
The 5/8" retractable pin is visible at the bucket corner.

BrushforkB2710tab_pin.jpg

The lever slides two pins in and out. The pins are 5/8" solid steel, and engage 5/8" holes in the corner of the bucket. No tools no loose parts required. This (I think) is essential, so you can quickly remove it and scoop stuff up with the bucket.

BrushforkB2710lock_unlock.jpg

Ground a relief for grease, and drilled a hole to needle-grease the pin slider.

BrushforkB2710greasegroove.jpg

If any questions I'll try to answer them as best as I can.

Last edited:
   / 50 inch brush fork build (with quick-release lever) #2  
Sodo this is the one I made for my bucket. I also ran into the problem of having to tie in the tines as they were bending too easily. This fork can pick up 1000 lb tree stems and is why I gave a slight upward bend to the teeth so I could "scoop" and cradle a stem. It's one of the handiest implements I have and can do a lot of stuff from brush to manure to trees.

Attachments

• P7252354.jpg
    P7252354.jpg
    945.1 KB · Views: 699
   / 50 inch brush fork build (with quick-release lever)
Yes connect them together and they get stronger. That looks permanent, you must have more than one tractor :cool: . Are those tines solid steel? What size?

/ 50 inch brush fork build (with quick-release lever) #4  
You'll want to reverse the angle on the ends so the points are down, not up. It'll make it easier to get under logs and such.
Also, I can't tell from the pics, but the ends look open. If so, you may want to close them up. Otherwise, dirt and debris will get packed inside.
Last, you're going to bend those forks side-to-side pretty easily without bracing between them.
Good project.

/ 50 inch brush fork build (with quick-release lever) #5  
Also, I just read that you used 1x2x.120. You're going to bend them up-down fairly easily, too. My little 1500# Power Trac bent stuff much thicker than that.

I've been thinking about that angle & "up or down". Did it as shown to reduce possibility of bending a tine if it hooked under a root. But I did my latching system so it could be flipped. Easy mod to make it fit boyh ways, just need to add a tab to engage cutting edge. The ends are closed.

My tractor weighs something like 3,000 lbs and lifts 1,000 lbs, I've been working the brush fork pretty hard for a few months, lifting logs that lift the rear wheels with 450 Lbs ballast on the 3-pt. I don't doubt they are stressed to their limit but I'd have a hard time believing a 1500# tractor could bend them. Maybe you"re thinking of 1x2x.065?

Last edited:
   / 50 inch brush fork build (with quick-release lever) #7  
No, I'm thinking of my 1500# Power Trac PT425 with 800# lift capacity and 2500PSI hydraulic system. I've bent 1/2" steel with the FEL by jamming the forks under something and applying leverage with the lift/curl function of the FEL. Yes, you can lift the rear off the ground, but the thing you are building is moving the pry-point way out in front of what you are familiar with.

For example, on my machine, I can lift 800 pounds at the quick attach of the FEL. However, if I move that load out 4' from that point, I can only lift about 400 pounds. And if I put an 8' log out like a boom pole, I can lift the rear of my tractor off the ground with my own body weight, a tad over 220.

Moss do you know the material dimensions of the fork tines that you bent with the 800# lift?

/ 50 inch brush fork build (with quick-release lever) #9  
Yes connect them together and they get stronger. That looks permanent, you must have more than one tractor :cool: . Are those tines solid steel? What size?

No , this thing goes on the same way as any tooth bar. The tines are solid, mild steel 1" in width.

Thx Arrow, gthx for the width, do you remember the tine thickness?

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

(4) Assorted length ladders (A33544)
(4) Assorted...
Pallet of 36" Welding Rods ER309L, Approx. 250# Approx. 250# ER316, Approx. (A33349)
Pallet of 36"...
Fuel Tank (A33041)
Fuel Tank (A33041)
Bridgeport "J" Head Milling Machine (A33349)
Bridgeport "J"...
Bradford Gravity Flow Trailer (A33041)
Bradford Gravity...
2023 TRAILER WORLD GOOSENECK FLATBED (A32908)
2023 TRAILER WORLD...