50 hour service - BX24

/ 50 hour service - BX24 #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
Since it seems to be a right of passage to post about the 50 hour service - I figured I'd give a brief description of my experience and a cheat sheet for the next guy (or gal) to do it.
I called the dealer ahead of time - when I got there they had a 2.5 gallon and a 1 gallon jug of SUDT out, 2 filters (oil and tranny) and a jug of 10W-30... At a cost of $98 after tax (they thew in 5 - 3PT implement clips for free, cause I tend to loose them)
After I picked up the stuff - I got home and drove the tractor past the jealous neighbors house to warm it up - and boil his blood. :p

Oil Service:
Unscrewed cap on-top of engine.
14mm socket to the drain plug - oil drains right straight down (why can't car manufactures figure that one out?)
For fun - ran magnet around inside oil - no shavings.
Left plug out - went over to FEL side, got band clamp on the old filter, took that off. (design flaw here, filter dribbles on front axle drive shaft) ;)
Replaced filter with new, replaced oil plug, filled with oil. Started tractor up - ran a moment rechecked oil level and topped off. Done. 15-20 minutes.

Hydro Service: (required BH to be detached)
Used 27mm socket on drain plug. As it started to drain it also started to go "glug, glug, glug" spitting fluid all over - quickly pulled dipstick and it drained fast and straight down. Removed filter when it was done draining and replaced with new filter. Took 12mm socket with extender and removed the bolt that holds the screen filter in place. Had to "tap" the outer lip of the screen unit with a screwdriver and hammer to get the paint on it and the tractor to break free to I could slide it out. Screen had some small brass looking metal filings on it - between a magnet and some rinsing of the part - it was a good as new. Let it dry and re-installed it into the tractor. Replaced drain plug. Used a long throat funnel to get 3.1 gallons of the SUDT into the hole... when I was "close" I started the tractor, raised and lowered the lift arms and the FEL - rolled backwards and forwards 2 feet. Rechecked fluid levels and topped off. Done. 25-35 minutes (including cleaning the screen and dry time)

Other things: The greasing, checking, testing wiggling stuff you should be doing at other times - just gets done formally here.

Bottom line - it's easy to do in an hour with the right tools:
12mm, 14mm, and 27mm sockets
Oil filter wrench (any kind will work, someone posed about the socket kind - they would indeed be handy)
Long neck funnel
BIG oil pan (over 3.1gal for the hydro)

/ 50 hour service - BX24 #2  
More owners should follow your example. Not only to save a few dollars, but to become more familiar with their tractor.

For those not putting a lot of hours on each year, I recommend a complete service (without a hydraulic change) once a year. Takes a couple of easy hours and it will assure everything is where it is supposed to be. Kind of like an annual inspection on an airplane.

Guess you could always call it a tractor annual.:)

/ 50 hour service - BX24 #3  
fishpick said:
After I picked up the stuff - I got home and drove the tractor past the jealous neighbors house to warm it up - and boil his blood. :p

I have 35 hours to go before I get there. Tell us more about the neighbor :p

/ 50 hour service - BX24 #4  
fishpick said:
Since it seems to be a right of passage to post about the 50 hour service - I figured I'd give a brief description of my experience and a cheat sheet for the next guy (or gal) to do it.
I called After I picked up the stuff - I got home and drove the tractor past the jealous neighbors house to warm it up - and boil his blood. :p

Oil Service:
Unscrewed cap , filter dribbles on front axle drive shaft) ;)
Replaced filter with new, replaced oil plug, filled with oil. Started tractor up - ran a moment rechecked oil level and topped off. Done. 15-20 minutes.

Hydro Service: (required BH to be detached)
filter in place. Had to "tap" the outer lip of the screen unit with a screwdriver and hammer to get the paint on it and the tractor to break free to I could slide it out. Screen had some dry time)

Other things: The greasing, checking, testing wiggling stuff you should be doing at other times - just gets done formally here.

Bottom line - it's easy to do in an hour with the right tools:
12mm, 14mm, and 27mm sockets
Oil filter wrench (any kind will work, someone posed about the socket kind - they would indeed be handy)
Long neck funnel
BIG oil pan (over 3.1gal for the hydro)
Sure glad I don't have to remove the BH on my BX23 to do that.

/ 50 hour service - BX24
So let me clarify the use of the word "required"... you could do it with the BH attached... but since it takes all of 3 minutes to drop it and gives you LOTS more working room to fill the fluid and to get out the screen... I chose the word "required"...
Any BX24-ers out there do this with the BH on?

/ 50 hour service - BX24 #6  
I tried, but I ended up taking it off for some reason. I can't remember why exactly.

/ 50 hour service - BX24
Another reason I took it off was the whole - no fluid in there and you NEED it off after you start concern...