5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #11  
I’ve used chains on mine since 1985. Just replace the flat bar with 5/16 chain allows the tail to raise up without bending anything.

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #12  
You likely reversed and forced the rear of the Bush Hog Upwards which bent the arm.
It could also be that the missing bolt was a problem
Replace the missing bolt and put lock-tite on other fasteners. You should be able to figure that out.
Straighten it and carry on.

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #13  
Learning the bush hog can be expensive, in this case not so much. Check the lower back edge of the deck, if bent, find a flat stump and hook the lower edge edge over, pull it out straight with the tractor. A tree farm gets the bush hog deck bent around the edges with frequency, no deal to straighten it.

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #14  
I've owned quite few bush hogs 4,5,6,and 7 ft sizes. Have never seen that kind of structure you have below the 3 pt lift arms involving a 'dog bone' swinging linkage like that. Anyway, I agree with posts #10 and #11, Forget the troublesome straps of metal and use chain instead. I've bent mine that came with the mower too many times. Chain is the perfect solution. I have no idea what the dog bone links are for and I'd get rid of them.

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #15  
I've owned quite few bush hogs 4,5,6,and 7 ft sizes. Have never seen that kind of structure you have below the 3 pt lift arms involving a 'dog bone' swinging linkage like that. Anyway, I agree with posts #10 and #11, Forget the troublesome straps of metal and use chain instead. I've bent mine that came with the mower too many times. Chain is the perfect solution. I have no idea what the dog bone links are for and I'd get rid of them.
I don't get that overcomplicated mess on the hitch either and I don't get why manufacturers insist on the flimsy bars. Chains is definitely the way to go.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #16  
I replaced the bars on my JD 506 with chain too. Mine are both adjustable and removable, so if in a pinch, I can drop the deck and use the chains (like to get me out of a stuck situation).

One warning though: The bars are intended to limit upward travel of the back of the mowing deck, limiting the compression of the drive shaft. Make sure your shaft can compress quite a bit and try not to back into objects that send it skyward. The drive shaft will compress until it stops and then all backwards force will be applied to the PTO shaft on the tractor. It only takes a few photos of tractor carnage to scare you (found right here on TBN!).

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #17  
I have the KK Flex Hitch with the dog bone linkage and it allows more flex when hitting stumps with the front corners of the cutter. I assume that those two dog bone stop bolts never were tightened when it was first setup as they get removed and reinstalled. The self locking nuts would not have loosened on their own.

/ 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #18  
After finishing cutting ~6 acres I noticed the right lift arm brace was severely bent and I have no idea how it happened. Full disclosure, this was only the second time it and the tractor had been used View attachment 748884
Remove those lift straps and replace with chains. That will stop the bending as it happens when there is compression (due to the linkage not being quite right).
Much better performance with chains.
And mowing up a bank is now possible with the chains.. Which reminds me, need to get that done soon after the wild raspberries are finished. ;)

Attachments

• RC513Mow.jpg
    RC513Mow.jpg
    978.9 KB · Views: 114
  • RC513Bank_sm.jpg
    RC513Bank_sm.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 113
   / 5' King Kutter bent bush hog Lift Arm Brace #19  
FWIW - I think I have owned three of those 3-point shredders that you show. I found it frustrating that all were built with those metal straps, for if the tail wheel was forced up, say going through a ditch, the straps are unforgiving and are forced to bend. Because I am good at customizing when there is a need, on all of my mowers I cut out a 18"-24" piece in the center of each strap and welded a chain in it's place. Had to be very careful to ensure both sides were the same length. By making the change, the tail wheel easily floats with ground changes, the tail of the mower can be tilted as much as 45 degrees up without a problem, and the chain tension allows the deck to be lifted when I raise the 3-point.
Great idea. Going to do that o mine.