5'/60" rotary mower recommendation for 30~55HP tractors

/ 5'/60" rotary mower recommendation for 30~55HP tractors #1  

Sid Post

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 5711D, Kubota L4600, Kubota B2601
My friend and I currently have need of a class1/2 convertible rotary mower that has a 5' cut. He is looking at a 20-series LandPride/Kubota mower right now. Not sure on the cost, with a slip clutch it is likely in the ~$2500 range.

I have a Kubota 4600 and he has a smaller Kioti that is ~30HP with a Hydrostat so, still probably a good match for a 5' cut.

Where he cuts has a lot of rocks so that has basically destroyed his current mower which is a Kioti. Kioti and they don't have repair parts so, there really aren't any good repair options. His stump jumper seems to be welded on the PTO box shaft so, he can't really service it without a cutting torch so, that with no Kioti parts support, at this time he is moving on to a new mower.

He mows around his tree farm and the backside of a dam so, the mower gets enough rough service, a lighter cheaper one won't really work that well for him.

So rocks, trees stumps possibly, branches, and similar hazards along with mowing a tree farm and his dam, I good medium class mower is likely a good fit. Thoughts?

What what would you recommend? Where are the price breaks on this size mower in terms of quality and durability? Will $2K~$3K get a mower that will hold up to this type of service?

Best Regards,
Sid

Last edited:
   / 5'/60" rotary mower recommendation for 30~55HP tractors #2  
I bought a LandPride 2072 rotary cutter last December for $3300 with slip clutch. That’s a 6’ cutter. A 5’ cutter would probably be several hundred less. LandPride cutters are good cutters, but rocks are hard on any RC. And of course they offer more heavy duty units for a higher price. There are lots of great manufacturers of cutters, but I’ve never had a LandPride implement fail for me.

/ 5'/60" rotary mower recommendation for 30~55HP tractors #3  
I have a BB60 Woods Brush Bull with a slip clutch.

It has hit everything from 4x4's to tires to concrete blocks that were hidden in fallow fields I mowed for friends and family.

It has taken it all in stride No complaints.

Bought at an auction for $650 thought that was to much 20 years ago.
Wow have prices gone through the roof.

I will admit we had one property that we rented a Hydraulic driven front rotary cutter for the Bobcat T 250 and when chopping up saplings that were 3-4 inches sometimes larger, well no comparison.
1 1/2" an under not a problem for the BB60.
depending on width of the tractor would decide whether to go 5 or 6 foot width. The BB60 is a bit narrow for my 76" wide Rhino

Last edited:
   / 5'/60" rotary mower recommendation for 30~55HP tractors #4  
If he destroyed his last one, I not so sure I would want to share the cost of a new one with him. A 5' cutter is all his tractor can handle, especially going to a medium duty cutter. Will a 5' cutter cover the wheelbase of both of the 2 tractors? I think your tractor has a 6' wheelbase. Wouldn't want to sell myself short mowing with too small a cutter for my tractor.

That being said I like my Bush Hog cutter. Never had an issue but if I did parts and service are readily available.

/ 5'/60" rotary mower recommendation for 30~55HP tractors #6  
If he destroyed his last one, I not so sure I would want to share the cost of a new one with him. A 5' cutter is all his tractor can handle, especially going to a medium duty cutter. Will a 5' cutter cover the wheelbase of both of the 2 tractors? I think your tractor has a 6' wheelbase. Wouldn't want to sell myself short mowing with too small a cutter for my tractor.

That being said I like my Bush Hog cutter. Never had an issue but if I did parts and service are readily available.
X2 first sentence says it all.

/ 5'/60" rotary mower recommendation for 30~55HP tractors #7  
I have to agree with the previous statements but I'm not sure as to the quality of the Kioti cutter either. Landpride, Bush Hog or Bad Boy (really like the thought out design and reinforcement areas) have good options

/ 5'/60" rotary mower recommendation for 30~55HP tractors
The Kioti mower he has is really a lightweight entry level model. I have used it in my pasture which is pretty tame for mowing other than an occasional branch that is buried in the grass.

/ 5'/60" rotary mower recommendation for 30~55HP tractors #9  
Get a Brown 415 it’s the heaviest duty that size tractor can run. With chains it’s around $4200 plus tax. Side by side with a RCR 1860 there is little comparison

Attachments

• 9B1DA700-77D9-4E10-9799-C861F8E137F4.jpeg
    9B1DA700-77D9-4E10-9799-C861F8E137F4.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 105
  • FC55E13A-BC70-4581-B82D-213486BE0045.jpeg
    FC55E13A-BC70-4581-B82D-213486BE0045.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
   / 5'/60" rotary mower recommendation for 30~55HP tractors #10  
I agree I wouldnt want to share a cutter that someone is gonna beat the snot out of.

Depending on what model the 30hp kioti is....it might be better suited for a 6' cutter. Which is a much better match for your larger tractor also.

Not sure the deal with the kioti cutter.....but I highly doubt the stump jumper is actually welded to the gearbox output unless some previous owner did so.
6' is the sweet spot for pricing. 5' is also quite affordable because they are common. above 6 the prices go up alot....and smaller than 5' the prices dont really drop and sometimes even more just because lack of demand for anything smaller.

I'd be trying to find some used old iron if the plan is to beat the snot out of it