4XXX series plastic vs. UV rays

/ 4XXX series plastic vs. UV rays #1  

om21braz

Veteran Member
Anyone here with 1990's-2000's 4XXX series Deere's that leave their machines outside ? (I cannot imagine anyone would, but what if) How are the composite/plastic holding up to the effects of the sun over time ? Just curious as we all know what happens to most plastic after several years exposed. Speak up if this has already been hashed out and I'll delete it, but I could not find any mention of it - Thanks !

/ 4XXX series plastic vs. UV rays #2  
My Dad's neighbor is a YMCA camp in Southington CT, with a 4300 that is about 3 years old. They leave it out - It looks fine for something that doesn't receive great care. It's a good question to ask. I've seen several brands get real tired looking after a few years - but it's my observation that NH and Deere seem to look fine after several years. For me the plastic, or whatever it is exactly, is a great choice - it takes a good beating from falling trunks off the loader too (personal experience /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif).

Take Care,

/ 4XXX series plastic vs. UV rays #3  
The plastic (fiberglass) hood on my JD 755 has spent 16 years outside (summer/fall/winter/spring) without any indication of rust. On the other hand, the metal fenders, platform and ROPS all show signs of surface rust where the paint has been scratched or worn. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 4XXX series plastic vs. UV rays #4  
My 4300 sat outside when it was waiting to find a new owner through the summer and snow and the hood and all plastic got faded. The black plastic was the worst as it turned somewhat white. The green hood was faded but a good 3M wax might have helped it out some. We also had a 4600 for 2 years on the lot and it had a faded and not as shiney as it was when it was new.

/ 4XXX series plastic vs. UV rays #5  
I bought a JD 4600 in 1999 and sold it in 2002. Every day of it's life was spent outside in the weather. Looked almost as good when I sold it as it did when I bought it. I say almost cause it had a few scratches but nothing the sun or weather had done to it.

/ 4XXX series plastic vs. UV rays #6  
I LOVE the plastic!!

I LOVE the yellow seat!!!

I LOVE the electronics!!

I LOVE the analog guages!!

I LOVE the dual pedals!!

I LOVE the easy on off loader and hoe!!

I don't like _RaT_!!

just kidding on that last one... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ 4XXX series plastic vs. UV rays #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( For me the plastic, or whatever it is exactly, is a great choice - it takes a good beating from falling trunks off the loader too (personal experience /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif).

)</font>

I'll second that. While my metal hood and fenders might shine just a little brighter than the plastic, those dings and dents from a few errant pieces of firewood probably would have been avoided.

Donny

/ 4XXX series plastic vs. UV rays #8  
For the most part my 4600 is outside. We park it out of the weather occassionally but for the most part it's going all day in the sun, rain, snow, etc. I will try and remember and take a pic of it for you. The green on it doesn't look faded at all. My seat is still in great condition and the black plastic looks fine too. I can't complain at all for a tractor with over 2000 hours on it and as hard as it has been worked.

/ 4XXX series plastic vs. UV rays
Thanks all for the info ya'll ! It's just I'm use to seeing plastic/etc. get brittle/crack with lots of sun exposure and age. Just weighing out the pro's/con's of metal vs. composite here as I'm still in a RUT deciding on a CUT.

/ 4XXX series plastic vs. UV rays #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but it's my observation that NH and Deere seem to look fine after several years )</font>

I agree. The blue shiny plastic ( which looks to be the same material as the green shiny plastic ) on my NH 1920 sat outside from 1997 to early 2000 ( previous owner used it to mow.. and left it in the pasture.. ).. From then till now I park it in the back of my horse barn. The tractor is sheltered from direct overhead and has some side protection.. though light does get in from the rear of the barn.. and on the vent spaces on the side... So far the only bad spots are skuff marks from work.

Soundguy