4x20 Series Hydraulic Strainer Removal difficult

/ 4x20 Series Hydraulic Strainer Removal difficult #1  

gbw

Bronze Member
The Deere books for 4x20 Series Compact Utility Tractors say to clean the hydraulic suction screen at first 400 Hrs., while changing hyd fluid, then periodically thereafter.

It is a pain to remove the strainer using the book instructions. The strainer is inside the transmission, but extends about 1/2" into an elbow fitting on he trans.

After removing the 2 12mm cap screws that hold the elbow to the transmission, the book says to remove the elbow and then pull the strainer from the transmission for cleaning. (Deere Parts calls this elbow a flange, pn LVU801230).

The problem is that the elbow is fitted very tightly to a large steel pipe on it's other end. This pipe will not flex enough to allow the elbow to be lifted away from the trans. housing far enough to clear the 1/2" of intruding strainer, so that the elbow can be removed, without risking damage.

This is because the other end of the pipe that's attached to the elbow is fitted very tightly to the Hyd. filter housing. The pipe is connected at both ends (elbow and filter housing) by a very tight slip fit that includes a packing ring of hard rubber. It is all fitted so tightly that it's easy to damage the cast aluminum elbow, or the strainer, or the o-ring that seals the elbow to the trans. while trying to remove it.

One solution...

If the 3 cap screws that connect the filter housing to it's bracket are partially removed (the lower screw must be removed to get to the one of the three), and the 2 that connect the bracket that holds the housing to the tractor are loosened, then there is easily enough play to allow the elbow to clear the strainer and remove the elbow - but remember it is still a very tight slip fit on the pipe. On my tractor the pipe actually came loose from the filter housing first.

Hope this helps

/ 4x20 Series Hydraulic Strainer Removal difficult #2  
Any chance you have 2-3 pics you can post to go along with the parts you are moving ?

A very helpful suggestion for a solution, and many will thank you for posting that when faced with the same situation on their 4x20's.

/ 4x20 Series Hydraulic Strainer Removal difficult
Any chance you have 2-3 pics you can post to go along with the parts you are moving ?

A very helpful suggestion for a solution, and many will thank you for posting that when faced with the same situation on their 4x20's.

Sure, I'll be back under the tractor in a week or so and I'll get some pics then. I didn't ruin the elbow ('flange') getting it off, but I'm going to replace it anyhow as it took a good bit of force, before I saw a way to relax the parts fit to get it off, and I don't entirely trust it anymore.

/ 4x20 Series Hydraulic Strainer Removal difficult #4  

Below is a parts illustration of the suction strainer and hydraulic filter connections.

4x2_strainer.jpg

4x20_filter.jpg