4WD and loader work

/ 4WD and loader work #11  
I should have been more clear, TTWT was doing similar work as I was, a commenter, not Tim, said that.

To be clear, it's safe to be in 4WD and be scooping dirt?
It is safe to be in 4WD anytime you need it or want it. There is no such thing as a danger about being in 4WD. Forget that. Once you understand the machine and 4WD, etc. there are a lot of points to be made:

1) not good to be using it on dry pavement because that just wears tires worse and stresses the drive train due to slight differences in gearing from front to back, tire sizes, etc. Plus you generally have no need for it on pavement. Picture the average 4WD pickup truck. It has not only a differential in front and one in back but also a 3rd one in the middle which accommodates differences between front and rear rpm. You do not have that 3rd middle differential in a tractor. Differentials allow... go look it up if you do not already know.

2) Almost no tractors have front brakes. So especially on steep ground you often need/want all wheel braking. You get that in 4WD and not in 2WD.

3) A 2WD tractor is a stuck tractor ... and other opinions you do not need to hear. Good luck to ya.

/ 4WD and loader work #12  
I should have been more clear, TTWT was doing similar work as I was, a commenter, not Tim, said that.

To be clear, it's safe to be in 4WD and be scooping dirt?

Yes. If 4wd wasn't meant to be used it would be totally pointless to have it.

Only time I would NOT use 4wd for loader work would be on a hard, dry surface such as asphalt where the front wheels WON'T slip easily and you'll "feel" the binding in the driveline.

I usually read comments on videos for the comedic gold, things like "I always shift my Civic no clutch just like an 18 wheeler" "He should of shifted into low range for better traction" "never use overdrive when towing no matter what you drive"

/ 4WD and loader work #13  
Lot of good advice been giving (y) remember common sense when using FEL in 4wd.

/ 4WD and loader work #14  
I would find it hard to accomplish much with the loader without 4WD. A tip though - you may find that you have very little rear wheel traction with the bucket loaded and 4WD is really helpful. However, that probably indicates you need rear counterweight. Loader work goes a lot better with ballast.

/ 4WD and loader work #15  
Technically a true 4WD transfer case is not a differential but an AWD transfer case is. Has to do with fixed versus variable ratios between output shafts

/ 4WD and loader work #16  
Mine lives in 4wd unless I'm travelling on the road in high range or turning tight and trying to not scrub up grass. In other words, it is in 4wd unless 2wd is needed.

4wd is safer also, when in 2wd you have no front brakes. With weight added on the front that can get dangerous.

/ 4WD and loader work #17  
Technically a true 4WD transfer case is not a differential but an AWD transfer case is. Has to do with fixed versus variable ratios between output shafts
Well, if you want to get technical, none of these tractors are four wheel drive!

In "tractor speak" only tractors with the same size wheels/tires all around are 4wd, the others are MFWD tractors. (Mechanical Front Wheel Drive)

Yeaaa, the yuppies want to change that, but that's the way it always was, before they came along. lol

SR

/ 4WD and loader work #18  
Well, if you want to get technical, none of these tractors are four wheel drive!

In "tractor speak" only tractors with the same size wheels/tires all around are 4wd, the others are MFWD tractors. (Mechanical Front Wheel Drive)

Yeaaa, the yuppies want to change that, but that's the way it always was, before they came along. lol

SR
I was referring to the 3rd differential in trucks comment in post 11

/ 4WD and loader work #19  
I was referring to the 3rd differential in trucks comment in post 11
I understand, and your post that I quoted was spot on. I only quoted you because you used the word "technically".

I'll add that not all 4wd pu's have AWD transfer cases, none of mine do. They are either "in" or "out".

SR

/ 4WD and loader work #20  
Geez-if I dig into a dirt pile in 2WD,the back tires spin and dig up the dirt.