Tractor News 484 steering issues

/ 484 steering issues #1  

Scott85

Bronze Member
Tractor
nothing yet
I’m helping a buddy fix his 484 with FEL. He has a issue with steering, the front wheels turn but the tractor doesn’t want to turn. The wheel and front tires will be over as far as they can and the tractor still wants to go straight, until the front tires dig ruts and the tractor has to turn. This will happen when the FEL is empty and a 7’ bushhog hooked up as blast.

Last edited:
   / 484 steering issues #2  
You don't say how sharply you're trying to turn or at what speed. Try moving forward in a straight line then turn the wheels a bit. The tractor should turn. From a stop with the wheels cut sharply the tractor may not even want to move other than to push dirt with the tires.

/ 484 steering issues
You don't say how sharply you're trying to turn or at what speed. Try moving forward in a straight line then turn the wheels a bit. The tractor should turn. From a stop with the wheels cut sharply the tractor may not even want to move other than to push dirt with the tires.

It’s at any speed and any attempt to steer other than straight it will not turn until the steering wheel and tires are as far over as they can go and ruts develop because the tires are turn and the tractor wants to go straight.

/ 484 steering issues #4  
Sounds like the differential lock is engaged?
My 584 has one, I never use it,, it is the little pedal under your right heel ,, is the pedal up,, or down??

/ 484 steering issues #5  
I'm having a little trouble visualizing this. You can go straight. You can turn the wheels but they won't turn a little bit but instead want to go all the way over to the lock? Or do you perhaps have one of the rear brakes locked? There is a latch between brake pedals on many tractors but if released the rear wheel brakes can be applied independently. If one of those brakes is locked the tractor will want to go that direction.

/ 484 steering issues
Sounds like the differential lock is engaged?
My 584 has one, I never use it,, it is the little pedal under your right heel ,, is the pedal up,, or down??

Yup that’s it, the pedal is broke he pulled it out the pedal moved but it didn’t feel like anything else moved.

/ 484 steering issues #7  
That link from the difflockpedal to the inside must be straight. Remove and straightern it.

/ 484 steering issues
That link from the difflockpedal to the inside must be straight. Remove and straightern it.

Thank you, I’ll I’ve ever worked on was fords and it’s never been too in-depth.

/ 484 steering issues #10  
I wouldn't be surprised if you have a bit of a difficult time getting the diff unlocked,
You may need to block the rear tires on one side and jack up the other side and then with it in neutral and the parking brake off, rotate the tire back and forth to get the external linkage to pull the internal dogs out with out breaking things.