Price Check 48 vs. 47 backhoe...price vs. performance.

/ 48 vs. 47 backhoe...price vs. performance. #11  
Anthony,
Don't know if you made your decision yet, but in case you haven't, I'll give you my reasons for picking the 48 that is being mounted by my dealer as I write.

1. Price -- The 47 has a msrp of $6519.00 with a 9" bucket. The 48 (with mounting brackets for a 4310) has a msrp of $7282.00 with a 12" bucket. That's a price difference of only $763.00. If you were comparing items where one cost $1000.00 and the other was $1763.00, the price increase would be dramatic. But, unless you're pushing your budget to the max with the cost of the 47, an additional $763.00 on a $6519.00 item does not seem like too much excess.

2. Digging depth is one foot more on the 48. While you may not be able to visualize a point where you would need to dig a 8'6" deep trench, remember that digging depth carries over to other areas such as reach, loading height, etc.

3. Loading height is one foot more on the 48. If you ever have to load out the material you are digging into the bed of a truck or trailer, this one additional foot can be a great advantage.

4. Dipstick digger force is 430 lbs more on the 48. While there may be times that this higher force is advantageous, I actually gave it little thought on my 4400 as there is a point where the downward force of the dipstick will just lift the tractor off the ground.

5. Bucket digging force (sometimes seen as bucket curl force) is 890 lbs more for the 48 over the 47. This number is significant if removing stumps is of importance to you. It was a high priority to me, so this played a major part in my decision.

6. Finally, what really made the decision for me was the ability to carry the 48 to a larger size tractor. If I ever trade up in tractors, it will be to the 4600/4700 size frame. With the 48 hoe, I can have my hoe moved to the larger tractor. With a 47, I'd have to buy a new hoe again.

Best of luck with whichever one you decide on as I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely.

Hoss

/ 48 vs. 47 backhoe...price vs. performance. #12  
Great Points Hoss! Hope you enjoy it!!

/ 48 vs. 47 backhoe...price vs. performance. #13  
Really good post Hoss, very informative.
Thanks,
kyle

/ 48 vs. 47 backhoe...price vs. performance.
**** it Hoss, I was all ready to get the 47, now I have to think about the 48 again... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You make some excellent point, and I am seriously going to consider the 48 again. Thanks for the input. I'll let you all know what I get once its one my tractor....

Anthony

/ 48 vs. 47 backhoe...price vs. performance. #15  
hey, adegiulio, You want me to run oner the border and whup him for ya?

I am busy that weekend!!!

Lessee, Big Guy, Likes to play with guns, gotta 48 backhoe...

Yessir! Hoss Whatever you say!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 48 vs. 47 backhoe...price vs. performance. #16  
And the best part about the 48 hoe!!! I got mine today!!! Tractor's been in the shop since last Friday to get it mounted. Turned out one set of brackets didn't make it, so they ordered a new set. Then, the first ones came in on Tuesday, but they had already started working on another job so mine had to set for a day. But, I got home with it around 1:00 this afternoon, and have been going after those stumps and roots that had been laughing at me. Rippin' 'em out with a vengence. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One thing I did mess up on again was the bucket. I ordered mine with the 18" bucket, which seems to be about the ideal compromise between material moved and surface disruption. But, what I didn't notice was that there is also a 18" heavy duty bucket available. It doesn't show up on the Deere product configurator under buckets, but shows up under attachements for field conversion. Would have only cost $65.00 more that the standard 18" bucket.

Again, I know you'll have a blast with whichever one you decide to buy.

Hoss

/ 48 vs. 47 backhoe...price vs. performance. #17  
An AWESOME post CVHoss...
Enjoyed reading it.
Well thought out and informative!!!!!
Mike

/ 48 vs. 47 backhoe...price vs. performance. #18  
Very good summation about a small perceived difference that is quite substantially.

/ 48 vs. 47 backhoe...price vs. performance. #19  
The process I went through in selecting my BH was pretty much the same....47, 48, 48, 47, 48, 47 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. For my tractor and needs, a 47.5 would have been the best solution. Good luck and enjoy.

/ 48 vs. 47 backhoe...price vs. performance.
Well, Hoss pretty much sold me on the 48, but yesterday I was at my Deere dealership and decided to really look at both hoes and decide that way. I am going with the 48. The 47 just looks too small to really be much help, where the 48 looks just right. Adding all the facts together, the 780 dollar difference really makes sense in favor of the 48. I'll be ordering it tomorrow, I just hope the one I saw on the lot yesterday wasnt sold yet!!